Change in envelope number vs check reader

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

CranfordUMC

Change in envelope number vs check reader

Post by CranfordUMC »

We are running PC online and have been using the check reader for some time. The reader works great and saves me a lot of time. I have an issue and wonder if anyone else has run into this. A person came as a visitor a few times so I entered their checks with the catch-all visitor envelope #99. Since they have been back a few more times I decided to enter them into the membership module as a "visitor" and assigned them a real envelope number. My problem now is that the check reader keeps assigning the check to the general visitor number 99 and I don't know how to change it to their real new number. Is there any way to disassociate the routing/checking account number from an envelope number??? I know the routing/account number is proprietary information and is therefore not accessible through the PC application. FYI...I have stopped the practice of using the generic visitor envelope number to prevent this in the future.

Have a Happy 4th.
Steve Heller
Treasurer
Cranford United Methodist Church

NeilZ

Re: Change in envelope number vs check reader

Post by NeilZ »

CranfordUMC wrote:We are running PC online and have been using the check reader for some time. The reader works great and saves me a lot of time. I have an issue and wonder if anyone else has run into this. A person came as a visitor a few times so I entered their checks with the catch-all visitor envelope #99. Since they have been back a few more times I decided to enter them into the membership module as a "visitor" and assigned them a real envelope number. My problem now is that the check reader keeps assigning the check to the general visitor number 99 and I don't know how to change it to their real new number. Is there any way to disassociate the routing/checking account number from an envelope number??? I know the routing/account number is proprietary information and is therefore not accessible through the PC application. FYI...I have stopped the practice of using the generic visitor envelope number to prevent this in the future.

Have a Happy 4th.
Here is a reply by Zorak to a similar situation:

"Next time you scan a check of hers, point it to her own envelope number before saving the contribution. This will change the relation in the database and she will come up from now on when scanning that check."

Have you tried this?

And yes, never assign the "generic envelope" to a check using the check reader. Always do those manually. However, I always enter any visitor who gives a check into the membership system and give them a 'visitor' envelope number. This is a number outside our usual numbering scheme. I do this because the check usually contains a full name and address, and sometimes the phone number. This way we have the information, and are able to send them a contribution statement if the amount given is over our usual threshold for statements.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

CranfordUMC

Post by CranfordUMC »

DUH! You are so right, I must have had a senior moment, should have known better. And yes, I began adding visitor checks with a "visitor" set of envelope numbers this year. Have only been the treasurer for 12 years and am still modifying the way I do things in PC. To add to the confusion, today I am doing the Vacation Bible School money.

Thanks again
Steve Heller
Treasurer
Cranford United Methodist Church

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

CranfordUMC wrote:DUH! You are so right, I must have had a senior moment, should have known better. And yes, I began adding visitor checks with a "visitor" set of envelope numbers this year. Have only been the treasurer for 12 years and am still modifying the way I do things in PC. To add to the confusion, today I am doing the Vacation Bible School money.

Thanks again
Oh joy .. oh bliss :)

Cheers ..
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.