Edit posted contributions

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Ellis

Edit posted contributions

Post by Ellis »

I discovered a check was credited to the wrong person several months back. How do I edit the contribution to reflect the correct individual?

NeilZ

Re: Edit posted contributions

Post by NeilZ »

Ellis wrote:I discovered a check was credited to the wrong person several months back. How do I edit the contribution to reflect the correct individual?
These instructions are for v11.x:

1. Under View Posted Contributions, find the improperly credited contributor. Find the 'donation' in question, write down the date, amount, check number (if any) and fund listed, then highlight the donation line, then click the Reverse button. This will enter the reversal in the Unposted Contributions queue.

2. Open the Enter Contributions function, enter the date you noted in step 1, select the Contribution Type (check, cash, etc) then click OK. Enter the correct envelope number, check number (if any), fund number, and amount. Click the Save button, then click Done.

3. Then select the Post Contribution function, and post these two items, make sure you post to Funds Accounting, even if the fund number did not change. While the system will recognize that nothing changed as far as the income or the deposit, and no transaction will be created for Funds Accounting, its always better to post these kinds of corrections to FA and let the system sort it out.

This will reverse the incorrect entry, and add the proper one to the Contributions system, and the Contributions Statement will reflect the changes.

If you're using v10.x, the steps are almost the same except Step 1:

You don't have a Reverse button, so you'll have to do that manually. After you write down all the information as listed in step 1, move to step 2, and proceed with entering the correct data. Then click Save. Now, enter the Incorrect data (the envelope number, check number, fund), but when entering the amount enter it as a negative number.

For example: If the amount was $25.00, you would enter -25.00. Once done entering this reversal entry, click Save then Done and proceed on to step 3.

Hope this helps.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

LizAA

Post by LizAA »

I have a similar situation - in May I added and posted contribution to incorrect contribution fund, but contributor is correct. So I would reverse that contribution and enter a new contribution with correct fund.
My question is: the incorrect contribution was done in May, and it’s now September - do I need to change the working month to May? Or leave it at September? Do I post this corrected entry in with all my other September items in fund accounting that are ready to post? Or do I need to post them first with Sept as the working month, and then do my contribution correction with working month=May?
I’m having trouble with how all the different dates in the various modules, affect the different fund reports... working month, posting date, entry date, invoice date...

Liz A

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

LizAA wrote:I have a similar situation - in May I added and posted contribution to incorrect contribution fund, but contributor is correct. So I would reverse that contribution and enter a new contribution with correct fund.
My question is: the incorrect contribution was done in May, and it’s now September - do I need to change the working month to May? Or leave it at September? Do I post this corrected entry in with all my other September items in fund accounting that are ready to post? Or do I need to post them first with Sept as the working month, and then do my contribution correction with working month=May?
I’m having trouble with how all the different dates in the various modules, affect the different fund reports... working month, posting date, entry date, invoice date...

Liz A
Working months have no meaning in Contributions.

Before you reverse the incorrect contribution, post any contributions that are unposted. Reverse the contribution and enter the correction using the same date as the original. Then post this.

The contributions module will create a transaction that will use the proper month, just post as normal, and the system will do the rest.

Remember you really do not need to close a month unless you need to, and you can keep 18 months open in Funds Accounting.

As far as the dates, most reports are based on the original date of the transaction. IE: Date of deposit, date on the check, etc.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.