Returning an individuals contribution

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

KathrynFCC

Returning an individuals contribution

Post by KathrynFCC »

I had an individual give a contribution towards a Haiti mission trip, but now needs that contribution returned. The contribution was posted to the Haiti Trip. This account if set up as a fund account that closes to our General Fund. Thank you for your help.

tborgal

Re: Returning an individuals contribution

Post by tborgal »

The way I would do this would be to reverse the contribution in the contribution module and post it to contributions only. Then I would cut a check to the donor using the Haiti trip line item debit account. In the notes field you should put a very clear explanation as to why this is being done.
Tom

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

tborgal wrote:The way I would do this would be to reverse the contribution in the contribution module and post it to contributions only. Then I would cut a check to the donor using the Haiti trip line item debit account. In the notes field you should put a very clear explanation as to why this is being done.
Frankly, I don't see any other way. I would definitely include the fact it was a refund.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

KathrynFCC

Post by KathrynFCC »

Once I had reversed the individuals contribution and written the check to them refunding their money, the Haiti Trip fund account is now short that money. It looks like the amount was taken out twice. Any suggestions?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

KathrynFCC wrote:Once I had reversed the individuals contribution and written the check to them refunding their money, the Haiti Trip fund account is now short that money. It looks like the amount was taken out twice. Any suggestions?
You missed the part that Tom mentioned about posting this to Contributions only. Evidently you posted the transaction to Funds Accounting, and the system appropriately deducted that amount from the trip account. When you then wrote the check, you just deducted that amount again.

My advice: find that Funds Accounting posted transaction sent from Contributions. If it was only posting the reversal from Contributions, then reverse that Funds Accounting transaction, enter the reason for the reversal in the box, and post that reversal. This will fix that issue.

However, if the transaction was posted along with other Contribution Transactions, you'll have to reverse that transaction, then recreate all the other contributions in Funds Accounting, but without the information and funds for the Haiti Trip. Let us know what you find.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

tborgal

Post by tborgal »

If you have a backup of the system before the reversal and there were no other transaction entered, or very few. You could restore the backup and go through the procedure again, posting only to contributions. Otherwise you will have to do what Neil described.
Tom