Adding Contributors in the Contributions Module

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

sdw

Adding Contributors in the Contributions Module

Post by sdw »

I am the bookkeeper for a church and do not have access to the membership module. When I am entering contributions in the contribution module, am I only seeing members who are coded as active and have been assigned an envelope number? If a member has been coded as active but has not been assigned an envelope number will their name appear when I try to add them as a new contributor? Will persons listed as an inactive member appear if I try to enter them as a new contributor? How can I avoid not entering someone in as a new contributor who is already listed in the membership module but is not showing up in the contributions module? Ultimately, I want to make sure I am not making duplicate entries. Thanks...

NeilZ

Re: Adding Contributors in the Contributions Module

Post by NeilZ »

sdw wrote:I am the bookkeeper for a church and do not have access to the membership module. When I am entering contributions in the contribution module, am I only seeing members who are coded as active and have been assigned an envelope number? If a member has been coded as active but has not been assigned an envelope number will their name appear when I try to add them as a new contributor? Will persons listed as an inactive member appear if I try to enter them as a new contributor? How can I avoid not entering someone in as a new contributor who is already listed in the membership module but is not showing up in the contributions module? Ultimately, I want to make sure I am not making duplicate entries. Thanks...
1. The membership module contains all the data for ANYONE entered into the system.
2. However, when you click the Look Up icon (magnifying glass) when entering Contributions, you are accessing the main membership data, the membership module is linked with the contributions using the Envelope number. However, you are only seeing those personal profiles with envelope numbers.
3. WIth Data Entry permissions, you can add new contributors, and they will appear under the membership module, usually under the default of VISITOR, you should leave the person in that status unless you know for a fact that the person is actually a member.
4. The easiest way to avoid having duplicates is to do the following:
  1. check to see if they already have an envelope number using the Look Up icon, if they're not there
  • then,click on the Add Contributor icon, on the screen that appears only enter the Last Name then click the NEXT button. If there are people in the database with that last name, they will appear on the next screen. You can then check to see if that is the contributor you want to use. If so, you can then continue to update the existing family then add an envelope number when you get to the Family Member Information screen. If not, on the 'radio' button next to Register a New Family
I also suggest that you use a envelope numbering scheme that separates members from visitors, this way if you do use envelopes you are not issuing numbers to one time visitors.

For instance:

your church uses envelope numbers 1 through 200 for members or active non-members who give regularly. You should then setup a range of numbers for non-members who may show up a few times then stop, and one for archiving envelopes for those donors who no longer give for one reason or another (death, move, no longer attend, etc).

We use:

1 - 100 for members/active non-members
200 - 900 for visitors, etc
2000+ for archives

Our internal church numbers are in the 900 range.

Hope this helps
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.