Posting donations to an unlinked Contributions Fund...

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

ChristUMC301

Posting donations to an unlinked Contributions Fund...

Post by ChristUMC301 »

Hello.

For the sake of work flow and accountability, there are two of us handling the church's finances. I handle contributions and our treasurer handles the accounting. We are on our first month of using PowerChurch so we are still setting up funds as we go. Since I handle the incoming funds, I set up a new contribution fund and posted donations to it before the fund was linked to accounting. The fund is now linked, but we do not see a way to to post the funds to accounting.

To wait for a fund to be linked before doing a deposit will back-up our workflow since our Treasurer works from home in the evenings and I work at the church during typical office hours.

Has anyone dealt with this issue before and if so, how did you handle it?

NeilZ

Re: Posting donations to an unlinked Contributions Fund...

Post by NeilZ »

BethCUMC wrote:Hello.

For the sake of work flow and accountability, there are two of us handling the church's finances. I handle contributions and our treasurer handles the accounting. We are on our first month of using PowerChurch so we are still setting up funds as we go. Since I handle the incoming funds, I set up a new contribution fund and posted donations to it before the fund was linked to accounting. The fund is now linked, but we do not see a way to to post the funds to accounting.

To wait for a fund to be linked before doing a deposit will back-up our workflow since our Treasurer works from home in the evenings and I work at the church during typical office hours.

Has anyone dealt with this issue before and if so, how did you handle it?
Any contributions that were posted prior to the final setup of the Contribution Fund; that is, linking it to the F.A. Income Account & Checking Account, will have to be manually entered to Funds Accounting. What I would do is this. Pull a Contributions Funds Report for the time period covering all the Contributions that were not posted to FA. That report will list all the contributions entered to each Contribution Fund.

Then your Treasurer will have to create a transaction in Funds Accounting to add those funds to the bank account and to the individual income accounts.

The transaction will look something like this:

Code: Select all

Account       Account Description           Debit           Credit
01-1110-000   First Bank                           5050.00
01-4270-000   Choir Robe Income                                 5050.00
If all your Contribution Funds link to the 01 account, then all the treasurer will have to do is take the total of all those Contributions and use that as the Debit amount to the checking account (01-1110-000) in the example.

Then they would take each individual Contribution Fund total, and enter the corresponding income account (4000 series) number (01-4270-000) in the example, and enter that individual total as the credit to those income accounts.

In future, all you should have to do is Post Contributions with the posting option of Post to Funds Accounting, and the proper transactions will then be created and placed in the Funds Accounting unposted transactions queue.

If you've already posted Contributions to Funds Accounting now that the links have been created, the treasurer can use one of those posted transactions as an example of what to do.

Does this help?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.