Transfer posts in Contributions module to Accounting

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

G.Scott

Transfer posts in Contributions module to Accounting

Post by G.Scott »

We have used PCP for 8-9 years, all modules except Accounting. During our conversion from commercial accounting software to PCP, along with a change of fiscal year, we deliberately posted Contributions data within the module (i.e., just updated the module) between July and December of 2016. (We manually transferred all accounting transactions and Contributions totals as needed into PCP to keep the FY up to date.) When we made the final shift over to PCP on January 1 for check-writing , etc., we neglected to reset the post function in the Contributions module to transfer data to Accounting, so we have all January 2017 data posted as an update in Contributions and need to get it into Accounting. Is the data somewhere in electronic form that can be transferred (as one might do between two computers), or do we have another manual re-entry task?
(No explanation available for previous practice--not on my watch!)

NeilZ

Re: Transfer posts in Contributions module to Accounting

Post by NeilZ »

G.Scott wrote:We have used PCP for 8-9 years, all modules except Accounting. During our conversion from commercial accounting software to PCP, along with a change of fiscal year, we deliberately posted Contributions data within the module (i.e., just updated the module) between July and December of 2016. (We manually transferred all accounting transactions and Contributions totals as needed into PCP to keep the FY up to date.) When we made the final shift over to PCP on January 1 for check-writing , etc., we neglected to reset the post function in the Contributions module to transfer data to Accounting, so we have all January 2017 data posted as an update in Contributions and need to get it into Accounting. Is the data somewhere in electronic form that can be transferred (as one might do between two computers), or do we have another manual re-entry task?
(No explanation available for previous practice--not on my watch!)
Unfortunately, you'll have to do a manual entry for the contributions. However, all you really need to do is the following.

1. Print the Fund Descriptions report from the Contributions Report list. Make sure the checkbox for Show active designations and account information is checked.
2. Print the Funds Report, select the radio button for Posted Data, and select Last Month as the Dates. All the other options should be left in their defaults.
3. Using the Funds Report and the Fund Description report, go to Funds Accounting -> Enter Transactions. . Using the example I have here: http://nz1951.com/pcpluspics/Transaction_Example.jpg, create a transaction to enter the contributions in the correct income or liability accounts.

I'm assuming that your checking account is where all the funds go, so all you need to enter as a DEBIT for the checking account (default 01-1110-000) is the total on the Funds Report. Then cross-referencing to the Fund Description report, enter each income or liability account, then enter the total listed on the FUNDS REPORT for that Contribution Fund as a CREDIT on the transaction. Use as many lines as needed.

NOTE: If you want to enter each weeks contributions as a separate deposit, since this is probably what you'll see on your end-of-month bank statement, use the Funds Report by Date report. This report only accesses the posted contributions data, so no need to select any options other than the date range of LAST MONTH. Again, use the total contributions for the date as the DEBIT entry for the Checking Account, and proceed the same way with the CREDIT entries for each fund.

4. After all this is done, have your System Admin head to File -> Preferences -> Contributions Setup and change the default posting option to Update Fund Accounting.

Does this help ??
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

G.Scott

Re: Transfer posts in Contributions module to Accounting

Post by G.Scott »

Looks like a perfect recipe. I had a general idea of what would be needed, but your extra detail will speed the process greatly. Thanks.