Check Reader Issue

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

ChristUMC301

Check Reader Issue

Post by ChristUMC301 »

Hello all.

We've purchased a MiniMICR USB #22523003 check reader. Using MICRBase, it autodetects as a RS232 and passes the communication test. I've changed the format to 3100 and changed the baud rate to 9600 as directed. I have uploaded the configuration. PowerChurch senses there is a reader when I'm in the check reader screen.

When scanning a check, the unit does not give an error light, but no data gets to a text document or to PowerChurch Online.

Using the MagTek troubleshooting section in their manual, I have checked "Send Data After Error" and unchecked "CTS/DSR Use".

There are no other instructions that I can find on Powerchurch on MagTek to sync the two.

I have found conflicting data on Powerchurch about this unit. One article says it has been tested and works with all version. Then I found an old Knowledge Base article that said Powerchurch Online and this unit were not compatible with Windows 7. Yet I found a later forum post that said that MagTek had updated their drivers so it should now work.

There are several options in the configuration settings which aren't addressed in the PowerChurch directions. Comm Mode, Data bits-Stop Bits-Parity, etc.

Anyone have any wisdom for me?

NeilZ

Re: Check Reader Issue

Post by NeilZ »

BethCUMC wrote:Hello all.

We've purchased a MiniMICR USB #22523003 check reader. Using MICRBase, it autodetects as a RS232 and passes the communication test. I've changed the format to 3100 and changed the baud rate to 9600 as directed. I have uploaded the configuration. PowerChurch senses there is a reader when I'm in the check reader screen.

When scanning a check, the unit does not give an error light, but no data gets to a text document or to PowerChurch Online.

Using the MagTek troubleshooting section in their manual, I have checked "Send Data After Error" and unchecked "CTS/DSR Use".

There are no other instructions that I can find on Powerchurch on MagTek to sync the two.

I have found conflicting data on Powerchurch about this unit. One article says it has been tested and works with all version. Then I found an old Knowledge Base article that said Powerchurch Online and this unit were not compatible with Windows 7. Yet I found a later forum post that said that MagTek had updated their drivers so it should now work.

There are several options in the configuration settings which aren't addressed in the PowerChurch directions. Comm Mode, Data bits-Stop Bits-Parity, etc.

Anyone have any wisdom for me?
First off .. are you using Powerchurch Online, or regular Powerchurch ?

I'm going to also assume that you installed the MiniMICR USB Windows driver found here:
https://www.magtek.com/Content/Software ... 510038.zip

Once that's done I would run the MICRBase program again, and while it detects it as an RS-232 Serial reader, it IS a USB KB emulator so select that, and then set the BAUD rate at 9600. Once this is done, try the Notepad test, by opening Notepad, then run a check through the reader to see if the reader reads the routing/account/check numbers corrected.

Let us know what you find.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

ChristUMC301

Post by ChristUMC301 »

Thank you, Neil. I will try the driver you have linked. We are using PowerChurch Online.

ChristUMC301

Post by ChristUMC301 »

I just reinstalled the driver. It was the version I originally used, so no change.

ChristUMC301

Post by ChristUMC301 »

Here are the results using MICRbase.

Under Comm Setup, communication tests fail using the Wedge or USB KB options.

>>Wedge
Communication test failed. Can't open keyboard port

>>USB KB
Communication test failed. Cannot open USB Port.

>>Reset USBKB Port
USB KB device connection failed!

When set to RS232 and using Auto Detect RS232 the communication test passes and I get these settings:

Serial Port
COM4

Baud
115200 (when I set to 9600, it passes as well)

Parity
None

Stop Bits

Data Bits

When I Configure, I uploaded first as I'd made the recommended settings prior. This is what I got:

RS232 (Fullset)
3100 (I had downloaded that setting previously)
Comm Mode 1 - Data <CR> (and this setting as well, as I read in the manual that a carriage return was required, previously I had 0 - Data)

So...currently, PowerChurch Online senses the MICR and says "READY TO SCAN". Yet I get no data in either PowerChurch or a text document. I do have the check facing the right way.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

And this is a USB reader?

What you're showing me that whatever driver your using is telling Windows 7 that its actually a RS-232 connected serial reader, and Powerchurch is accepting that. However, because you're not seeing anything using the NOTEPAD test, tells me that no matter what the MICRBase is saying, the reader is not copying anything.

If you go into the WIn7 Control Panel, and head to Systems -> Device Manager, check to see if anything is listed under the USB controllers for the reader, or if there are Serial Port/COM Ports listed.

Do you have another computer available to test with?

UPDATE ... after entering all that .. I realized that I missed the post about you using Powerchurch Online!!

You have FREE phone support, give them a call, and they can assist. You're going through the IDS Client which probably complicates this WHOLE business.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

ChristUMC301

Post by ChristUMC301 »

I have a call in with them.

And to cover my bases, I've already started a return request with Amazon.

It could be that this reader is just too old of a model. At one point, PowerChurch was telling Online users that they had to download MICRsend to use this model. But that software is no longer available.

Thanks for your help and prompt replies!

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

BethCUMC wrote:I have a call in with them.

And to cover my bases, I've already started a return request with Amazon.

It could be that this reader is just too old of a model. At one point, PowerChurch was telling Online users that they had to download MICRsend to use this model. But that software is no longer available.

Thanks for your help and prompt replies!
That may be for the best. If you're going to replace it, find a model : 22523009
Here's what I found on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing ... dition=new
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

ChristUMC301

Post by ChristUMC301 »

For anyone who might have the same issue in the future, this MICR check reader will not work with a Windows 64 bit system.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

BethCUMC wrote:For anyone who might have the same issue in the future, this MICR check reader will not work with a Windows 64 bit system.
OK .. that's the bit that was missing. This model, MiniMICR USB #22523003, does not work with a 64 bit system. This model number: 22523009 does.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.