Emailing Contribution Statements

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

TonyL222

Emailing Contribution Statements

Post by TonyL222 »

This year was the first year using PCP to email contribution statements. We had limited success. Over 900 contribution statements. About 1/3 were selected for email (i.e., had an email address and box checked to email statements). About half of those went with no problems. The rest we sent US Postal mail.

Using PCP 11.5

On thing I learned. In order to not trigger my email service providers SPAM detection, I had to throttle the emails. I set the email parameters to send no more than 10 emails every 2 minutes. That was 300 per hour, which worked for me.

In order to improve the process, I need answers to a few questions about which email is selected. I read that it first starts with the Personal Profiles, and then move up to the Family List profile. If multiple people have the same envelop number but different email address in their personal profiles, then each would get a copy of the Statement.

1. What happens when multiple family members (say husband and wife) have different envelopment numbers? if each has an email address and the box is checked, will each receive a copy of their respective statement to their email but not both statements?
2. What happens when multiple family members (say husband and wife) have different envelopment numbers. One personal profile has an email address but the other does not. Does it then look to the Family record for an email address? How are statements then sent (who gets what)?
3. What if neither has an email address and no box checked in the personal profiles, but the family list record has an email address and box checked?
4. What if the Family List record has an email address and box checked, but one or both Personal profiles has an email address but box is unchecked.

You get the picture. To whom will statements be sent under all the permutations?

NeilZ

Re: Emailing Contribution Statements

Post by NeilZ »

TonyL222 wrote:This year was the first year using PCP to email contribution statements. We had limited success. Over 900 contribution statements. About 1/3 were selected for email (i.e., had an email address and box checked to email statements). About half of those went with no problems. The rest we sent US Postal mail.

Using PCP 11.5

On thing I learned. In order to not trigger my email service providers SPAM detection, I had to throttle the emails. I set the email parameters to send no more than 10 emails every 2 minutes. That was 300 per hour, which worked for me.

In order to improve the process, I need answers to a few questions about which email is selected. I read that it first starts with the Personal Profiles, and then move up to the Family List profile. If multiple people have the same envelop number but different email address in their personal profiles, then each would get a copy of the Statement.

1. What happens when multiple family members (say husband and wife) have different envelopment numbers? if each has an email address and the box is checked, will each receive a copy of their respective statement to their email but not both statements?
They will only receive the statement for their envelope. HOWEVER .. each personal profile MUST have an email address assigned, or else I believe the envelope without the email address will not be sent. However, if there is an email address on the Mailing List Profile, I believe it will be used if the checkbox for emailing statements is checked.

Don't quote me on this however, I remember the original email logic was for sending messages to a group, and I'm not sure if it will hold for the statements.
2. What happens when multiple family members (say husband and wife) have different envelopment numbers. One personal profile has an email address but the other does not. Does it then look to the Family record for an email address? How are statements then sent (who gets what)?

See the answer to number one.
3. What if neither has an email address and no box checked in the personal profiles, but the family list record has an email address and box checked?

I believe both statements will be sent to the same email address as listed on the Mailing List record.
4. What if the Family List record has an email address and box checked, but one or both Personal profiles has an email address but box is unchecked.
It goes to the Family Mailing List email.
You get the picture. To whom will statements be sent under all the permutations?
FWIW ... if you really have any of these scenarios, its more trouble than its worth, mail them out :)
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

TonyL222

Re: Emailing Contribution Statements

Post by TonyL222 »

Yeah I've run into each of these and more, and it points to a bigger issue of consistent record keeping and update. Emailing the Contribution statements just brought attention to the issue. I can email the statements, but that won't address the bigger issue which I am determined to tackle.