Contribution & Camp Payments

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

ngaham

Contribution & Camp Payments

Post by ngaham »

Hi again,
Our church puts on a fairly large Basketball camp each year and we have people register and pay online though EasyTithe. We also use this service to offer out member online giving. Here it the problem that I run into. All of these transactions are entered into our bank account in one batch. Once it has been deposited I entered in the contributions to match the deposit. However, I can't enter a contribution for someone who I don't have entered into our Family information section. I am wondering if it would be ok to use the "Cash in Plate" account to record these contributions and then funnel them to the correct income account with the contributions fund that I have already setup. I want to the total deposit to add up when I go to reconcile the account.

NeilZ

Re: Contribution & Camp Payments

Post by NeilZ »

ngaham wrote:Hi again,
Our church puts on a fairly large Basketball camp each year and we have people register and pay online though EasyTithe. We also use this service to offer out member online giving. Here it the problem that I run into. All of these transactions are entered into our bank account in one batch. Once it has been deposited I entered in the contributions to match the deposit. However, I can't enter a contribution for someone who I don't have entered into our Family information section. I am wondering if it would be ok to use the "Cash in Plate" account to record these contributions and then funnel them to the correct income account with the contributions fund that I have already setup. I want to the total deposit to add up when I go to reconcile the account.
It would be fine if you were only tracking the money coming in from the Basketball camp. However, if you have deductible contributions to the church you really need to credit the giver with the amount given. So I would NOT use any type of loose plate contributions envelope number for this. You need to enter those givers in the system.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

ngaham

Post by ngaham »

NeilZ wrote:
ngaham wrote:Hi again,
It would be fine if you were only tracking the money coming in from the Basketball camp. However, if you have deductible contributions to the church you really need to credit the giver with the amount given. So I would NOT use any type of loose plate contributions envelope number for this. You need to enter those givers in the system.
Seriously? I'm talking about 50-75 people....Also, is the contribution deductible for Basketballs camp? I didn't think it was.

ngaham

Post by ngaham »

I guess what I'm wondering is would it be acceptable to enter all of the income from Basketball camp using the cash in plate account. When our members tithe online, I always attach it to them in contributions.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

ngaham wrote:I guess what I'm wondering is would it be acceptable to enter all of the income from Basketball camp using the cash in plate account. When our members tithe online, I always attach it to them in contributions.
If part of the income is actually a contribution toward the church, then per IRS rules you have to list how much is deductible and what is not. The easiest way to do this is to give them a receipt with that information on it. Then you can just enter it into the system using the loose plate envelope.

If the fee covers the expenses of putting on the camp, then forget about any breakdown.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

LQ Helper

Post by LQ Helper »

NeilZ wrote:
ngaham wrote:I guess what I'm wondering is would it be acceptable to enter all of the income from Basketball camp using the cash in plate account. When our members tithe online, I always attach it to them in contributions.
If part of the income is actually a contribution toward the church, then per IRS rules you have to list how much is deductible and what is not. The easiest way to do this is to give them a receipt with that information on it. Then you can just enter it into the system using the loose plate envelope.

If the fee covers the expenses of putting on the camp, then forget about any breakdown.
I have a question about giving for a camp payment. If the entire check is a camp payment, can this be entered as a separate deposit entered with a journal entry to the proper accounts and not thru the contribution module?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

LQ Helper wrote:
NeilZ wrote:

I have a question about giving for a camp payment. If the entire check is a camp payment, can this be entered as a separate deposit entered with a journal entry to the proper accounts and not thru the contribution module?
You can do this, or via the Accounts Receivable module if you need to track 'sales'. What this does is also give you a way to follow up the following year with previous attendees with a email or postcard invitation.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

LQ Helper

Post by LQ Helper »

Thank you so much for that. I hadn't even thought of that and it woud be so much easier to track for next year. :D

LQ Helper

Post by LQ Helper »

I tried this out with the A/R module as suggested and it all seemed to work fine. I entered 3 invoices for 3 customers at 275.00 each. That all worked fine and was posted to the Fund Accounting fine. I then went back to A/R and posted 3 payments to those 3 customers for 50.00 each. After that I ran payment statements for each of these customers and all appeared fine at that point.

When I looked at the Fund Accounting Unposted Transactions report it listed one invoice # for one customer with a total payment of 150.00. What would cause this and can it be corrected? I know the customers records are correct. It's just that the AR journal is correct in the amount but it is not as far as the invoice #'s and customers.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

LQ Helper wrote:I tried this out with the A/R module as suggested and it all seemed to work fine. I entered 3 invoices for 3 customers at 275.00 each. That all worked fine and was posted to the Fund Accounting fine. I then went back to A/R and posted 3 payments to those 3 customers for 50.00 each. After that I ran payment statements for each of these customers and all appeared fine at that point.

When I looked at the Fund Accounting Unposted Transactions report it listed one invoice # for one customer with a total payment of 150.00. What would cause this and can it be corrected? I know the customers records are correct. It's just that the AR journal is correct in the amount but it is not as far as the invoice #'s and customers.
OK.. you ran the AR Payment Statement report on all three people and they all showed the payments. There may be an issue and I would call Powerchurch support. It does not work that way here, I'm running v11.55 with the latest MR of 04/24/2017 .

You said you entered the 'invoices' and then Posted, and that worked. You shouldn't have any anything post, as AR won't post anything to AP unless there was a payment made.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

LQ Helper

Post by LQ Helper »

You are right. This was to be a prepaid camp invoice which I set up through A/P first. I then entered invoices in A/R for the three and posted the payments and all the rest is as I stated. I will download the demo version 11.55 if it is available and see what that does before I call.
Thank you so much.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

LQ Helper wrote:You are right. This was to be a prepaid camp invoice which I set up through A/P first. I then entered invoices in A/R for the three and posted the payments and all the rest is as I stated. I will download the demo version 11.55 if it is available and see what that does before I call.
Thank you so much.
OK .. that explains that. And I misspoke in my reply. I should have said "AR won't post anything to Funds Accounting", not " .. post anything to AP". AR does not post to AP at all . :oops:

Are you on the latest MR ??
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

LQ Helper

Post by LQ Helper »

Yes, the demo is 11.55 and we are using the online version so our version is 11.55 also. I just checked.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

LQ Helper wrote:Yes, the demo is 11.55 and we are using the online version so our version is 11.55 also. I just checked.
OK .. if you're using the online version, you have free phone support, I'd use it.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

LQ Helper

Post by LQ Helper »

I did use the free support and was told the A/R module is not one of their full feature modules but it does work. It is going to get an update but in the mean time I should just delete the line description in the funding accounting A/R Journal before I post it. I already had an idea that was what I could do but should I really have to? Anyway, that's the answer.

Does yours do that after you post payments?

Thanks for all your help and now you know too.