Monthly Contribution Total Report

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

wms7328

Monthly Contribution Total Report

Post by wms7328 »

It appears that if you select the "Monthly Contribution Report" and make a selection under personnel status, then it will only include the envelope number if the first person in the family, Seq 1, has that personnel status.

As example, had a family where the first person listed was not classified as member, the second person in the family, seq 2, was set as a member. When first ran report with personnel status of member selected, the envelope number for this family was not selected. When I changed the family members to make the member the first listed, seq 1, then the envelope was selected to display. I ran the report in both cases with the personnel status of member selected. I found 3 cases of this where the first person in the family, seq 1, was not listed as a member and that family would not be selected by this report until I changed the sequence numbers and listed the member as Seq 1.

I checked other contribution reports, example "Selected Contributors" and it didn't make a difference if the member was seq 1 in the family list.

NeilZ

Re: Monthly Contribution Total Report

Post by NeilZ »

wms7328 wrote:It appears that if you select the "Monthly Contribution Report" and make a selection under personnel status, then it will only include the envelope number if the first person in the family, Seq 1, has that personnel status.

As example, had a family where the first person listed was not classified as member, the second person in the family, seq 2, was set as a member. When first ran report with personnel status of member selected, the envelope number for this family was not selected. When I changed the family members to make the member the first listed, seq 1, then the envelope was selected to display. I ran the report in both cases with the personnel status of member selected. I found 3 cases of this where the first person in the family, seq 1, was not listed as a member and that family would not be selected by this report until I changed the sequence numbers and listed the member as Seq 1.

I checked other contribution reports, example "Selected Contributors" and it didn't make a difference if the member was seq 1 in the family list.
The Monthly Contribution Report has always worked that way. Sequence #1 has always been the 'head of household, or primary member of household', and the report reflects that. Other family records should be set as either members (if they are) or family group member. So that when you run the report, you should have both those personal profile statuses checked.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

wms7328

Post by wms7328 »

Ok didn't realize that first person listed as Seq 1 should always be listed as member. Occurs when husband and wife are not both members. Is this only report that just looks at first person listed in family?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

wms7328 wrote:Ok didn't realize that first person listed as Seq 1 should always be listed as member. Occurs when husband and wife are not both members. Is this only report that just looks at first person listed in family?
Basically, its an internal report for the treasurers/contributions secretary/church board to look at, so all it does is give the basic info to identify the envelope owner.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

wms7328

Post by wms7328 »

I'm not sure it's clear what I'm seeing. Let's use this example. Set up a family with the following entries:

Seq Profile Name Personnel Status Env.

1 John Brown Non-member 100
2 Lisa Brown Member 100

If you run the following reports "Monthly Contributions", "Fund Total by Envelope" and "Yearly Total by Envelope" and designate that you only want to select personnel status of "Member" then I would expect that it would include Envelope 100 totals. However, reports don't include envelope 100 unless you do one of the following: Delete the envelope number from John Brown or make John Brown the second person listed in the family and make Lisa, the member, the first listing, Seq 1. This seems to be inconsistent to me and I think will lead to members being left out of the mentioned reports. I found this by running a list of members that contributed per month and then found that I was missing some contributions from the totals that I got with other reports. The reports for "Posted Contributions" and "Selected Contributors" will show envelop 100 totals with any family listing order and "Member" status selected.

I run into this when the person that is listed as Seq 1 is deceased. We mark his personnel status as "Deceased" so unless we also delete the envelope number from his name, or change the sequence order of the family members, then the above reports would not include that envelope number even though the remaining family member remains a member (This is assuming you select only members to show).

Even though the reports above may have been designed to only select on the Head of Household or Seq 1 in family member list, I think it would be misleading for these reports to exclude envelopes just because the member is not listed first in family sequence. If I selected reports for members, I expect it to get that data from members regardless of how they are listed in the family members sequence list.

Hope this makes it clear why I find these reports could be leaving out data that I think most people would assume would be included. I'm running PC 11.5 with the latest maintenance release installed.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

wms7328 wrote:I'm not sure it's clear what I'm seeing. Let's use this example. Set up a family with the following entries:

Seq Profile Name Personnel Status Env.

1 John Brown Non-member 100
2 Lisa Brown Member 100

If you run the following reports "Monthly Contributions", "Fund Total by Envelope" and "Yearly Total by Envelope" and designate that you only want to select personnel status of "Member" then I would expect that it would include Envelope 100 totals. However, reports don't include envelope 100 unless you do one of the following: Delete the envelope number from John Brown or make John Brown the second person listed in the family and make Lisa, the member, the first listing, Seq 1. This seems to be inconsistent to me and I think will lead to members being left out of the mentioned reports. I found this by running a list of members that contributed per month and then found that I was missing some contributions from the totals that I got with other reports. The reports for "Posted Contributions" and "Selected Contributors" will show envelop 100 totals with any family listing order and "Member" status selected.

I run into this when the person that is listed as Seq 1 is deceased. We mark his personnel status as "Deceased" so unless we also delete the envelope number from his name, or change the sequence order of the family members, then the above reports would not include that envelope number even though the remaining family member remains a member (This is assuming you select only members to show).

Even though the reports above may have been designed to only select on the Head of Household or Seq 1 in family member list, I think it would be misleading for these reports to exclude envelopes just because the member is not listed first in family sequence. If I selected reports for members, I expect it to get that data from members regardless of how they are listed in the family members sequence list.

Hope this makes it clear why I find these reports could be leaving out data that I think most people would assume would be included. I'm running PC 11.5 with the latest maintenance release installed.
I haven't tested this on any earlier version of Powerchurch, but I believe this report has not changed since v10 at least. I'll flag it for a tech to look at.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

If this report is working that way, it should not be. I will write up a bug report and have a developer research it. I will follow up here with what we find.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Zorak wrote:If this report is working that way, it should not be. I will write up a bug report and have a developer research it. I will follow up here with what we find.
Well ... this is why I'll defer to the techs when I have to :)

FWIW .. I just tested on v11.1, and it works that way there also.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

We were able to verify that it does work that way and should not. It will be fixed in a future Maintenance Release.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Zorak wrote:We were able to verify that it does work that way and should not.
It may have been broke since V10 !!
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

wms7328

Post by wms7328 »

Thanks for your quick response. Best customer service in the business