Contributions Not In Fund Accounting

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

lcreddick

Contributions Not In Fund Accounting

Post by lcreddick »

I'm trying to clean up some issues in our financials.

Somehow we have managed to get a week of contributions posted to the individual members in the contribution module that are not in Fund Accounting. They are not in the unposted file in Contributions. I'm needing advice on how to fix.

My first thought was to reverse all the posted contributions in Contributions - but not to post those to Fund Accounting. Then go back into Contributions and re-enter the contributions manually and then post those contributions to Fund Accounting.

That will be a LOT of work because there are a lot of contributions but I can't figure out how to fix the issue otherwise.

gmLOL

Re: Contributions Not In Fund Accounting

Post by gmLOL »

After posting to Contributions, did you go in and post to Fund Accounting?

lcreddick

Post by lcreddick »

I was not the person who did this. I am trying to clean things up. I have no idea how the contributions got posted in the Contributions module but didn't make it to the Fund Accounting module. They aren't in the unposted transactions anywhere. And we have posted other contributions multiple times since this mistake happened. We just have a week of contributions (both online and in the offering plate) that are missing in Fund Accounting but present in Contributions.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

lcreddick wrote:I'm trying to clean up some issues in our financials.

Somehow we have managed to get a week of contributions posted to the individual members in the contribution module that are not in Fund Accounting. They are not in the unposted file in Contributions. I'm needing advice on how to fix.

My first thought was to reverse all the posted contributions in Contributions - but not to post those to Fund Accounting. Then go back into Contributions and re-enter the contributions manually and then post those contributions to Fund Accounting.

That will be a LOT of work because there are a lot of contributions but I can't figure out how to fix the issue otherwise.
OK .. as was previously asked, is the Contribution transaction sitting in the Fund Accounting Unposted Transactions queue. If not, then there is a simpler way to update fund accounting. In this case, someone posted contributions, but ONLY posted to the Contributions Fund. This is not normally the installation default which is Post to Funds Accounting.

Go to Contribution Reports, and select the FUNDS REPORT. On the report setup window, select the radio button for Posted Data, then for the Dates, select Defined Range from the pull-down list. Enter the date in question in both date blocks. Leave everything else as defaults.

Run the report, then print.

Now go into Funds Accounting and select View Posted Transactions and find a recent Contributions transaction and look at the details. If you can screen print that do it so you'll have an easy reference.

Using that transaction as a template, select the Enter Transaction function. Look at the Funds Report you printed out, and enter those amounts using the accounts for those funds as shown in the Posted Transation. If you have a Contribution Fund that did not get a contribution in the example, just go to Contributions -> Setup -> Maintain List of Contribution Funds to look up that Contribution Fund and find the Income and Checking account numbers used. Enter the contributions, then Post to Funds Accounting.

As usual, do a backup of the database so you can revert back to baseline if the result is not what you expected.

IMPORTANT - make sure you use the right CHECKING account for each contribution fund. If you have a separate Accounting Fund for Building using a different fund number you must use that account for any building contrbutions.

Example: Operations is 01, Building is 03.

Contributions for Tithes & Offerings for Operations are DEBITED to 01-1110-000, and CREDITED to 01-4030-000
Contributions for Building Fund offerings are DEBITED to 03-1110-000, and CREDITED to 03-4030-000

The checking account is the same if you use the same bank account for all funds in the church, if you use a different bank account for a fund such as building, your building fund checking account number would be different. Usually located under the 1100 series of account numbers.

Now how to prevent this from happening again. Have someone who has System Admin privileges go into the Preferences setup. Look under the Password & Permissions function, and check each user to see if they have POST permissions under the Contributions module tab. Remove that permission from anyone who should not have it.

Does this help??
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

lcreddick wrote:I was not the person who did this. I am trying to clean things up. I have no idea how the contributions got posted in the Contributions module but didn't make it to the Fund Accounting module. They aren't in the unposted transactions anywhere. And we have posted other contributions multiple times since this mistake happened. We just have a week of contributions (both online and in the offering plate) that are missing in Fund Accounting but present in Contributions.
FWIW .. if you're running v11.5 (and I think its also in v11.1) you can check the Contributions Audit Log located under the Contributions -> Setup menu. You can then see who posted Contributions. If you select that date of posting, at the bottom of that window you can see how it was posted. It will say "Contributions posted to Funds Accounting" if they went over to FA. Anything other than that means that someone changed the posting location.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

lcreddick

Post by lcreddick »

Thank you so much.

No, the contributions are NOT in the unposted queue. This solution will work - thank you.

Polzelsbook

Post by Polzelsbook »

We have the same issue and it was posted to fund accounting. I am so confused.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Polzelsbook wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 10:00 pm
We have the same issue and it was posted to fund accounting. I am so confused.
FWIW ... its never a good idea to post to a old topic, especially one that is over 5 years old. It can get lost, and may not get answered.

That said, the answer I gave back in 2017 is the same as it will work in v12 and v14, check the audit log to see where the Contributions were posted. If they were not posted to Funds Accounting, then the procedure I listed there in the May 17, 2017 @ 11:17 am post will work.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.