Determining a "Giving Unit"

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

TonyL222

Determining a "Giving Unit"

Post by TonyL222 »

One definition of a "Giving Unit" is as follows: "A giving unit is a group of family members who contribute jointly to the church. It is also defined as any recurring supporter of the ministry. " https://www.xpastor.org/finance/finance ... uld-start/. I am looking to define a standardized process for determining the number of "giving units", and ensure it is used consistently going forward. PC+ will be the basis of the data. Here are my assumptions about a giving unit:

1. They will have an assigned envelope number (PS - we have some couples who maintain separate envelope numbers, and thus will remain separate giving units).
2. In the fiscal year, they have given a minimum of $xxxx. (one benchmark I've read is to include only those who have given over $250 annually. Not sure if this is the right number).
3. Gift is recurring (i.e., more than a one time gift)

These assumption do not consider the giving unit's membership status - only that they are regular, substantive givers. I am not sure how to determine #3 (repeating gifts). I don't know of a canned report that would provide that. One thought is to run the "Selected Contribution" report in the Contributions module by month (or even by quarter) for those over the determine dollar amount (maybe 1/12th or 1/4th), save as an excel file, combine, then do a pivot table. Then I'd count only those giving units (envelope numbers) with multiple gifts.

Is there a better (i.e., easier) way? How do you determine giving units?

Thanks

NeilZ

Re: Determining a "Giving Unit"

Post by NeilZ »

TonyL222 wrote: I am looking to define a standardized process for determining the number of "giving units", and ensure it is used consistently going forward. PC+ will be the basis of the data. Here are my assumptions about a giving unit:

<snip>

These assumption do not consider the giving unit's membership status - only that they are regular, substantive givers. I am not sure how to determine #3 (repeating gifts). I don't know of a canned report that would provide that. One thought is to run the "Selected Contribution" report in the Contributions module by month (or even by quarter) for those over the determine dollar amount (maybe 1/12th or 1/4th), save as an excel file, combine, then do a pivot table. Then I'd count only those giving units (envelope numbers) with multiple gifts.

Is there a better (i.e., easier) way? How do you determine giving units?

Thanks
This is how we look at it:

1. Membership : if they are a member, they get an envelope number and are considered a giving unit. If a couple has one envelope between them, then they are one giving unit, if they both give and have separate envelopes, they are each a unit.

2. If they are not members, but give on a regular basis and regularly attend Worship, we classify them as active non-members, we will issue them an envelope, but do not expect them to pledge, so we don't consider them a giving unit.

All that said, if you want to determine regular giving, then I suggest the Monthly Contribution Totals report. It lists by envelope how much was given each month. You can filter out funds you don't want to measure, if you just want normal Tithes & Offerings only.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

TonyL222

Post by TonyL222 »

NeilZ wrote:
This is how we look at it:

1. Membership : if they are a member, they get an envelope number and are considered a giving unit. If a couple has one envelope between them, then they are one giving unit, if they both give and have separate envelopes, they are each a unit.

2. If they are not members, but give on a regular basis and regularly attend Worship, we classify them as active non-members, we will issue them an envelope, but do not expect them to pledge, so we don't consider them a giving unit.

All that said, if you want to determine regular giving, then I suggest the Monthly Contribution Totals report. It lists by envelope how much was given each month. You can filter out funds you don't want to measure, if you just want normal Tithes & Offerings only.
Thanks for your feedback, Neil.

1. Same here.

2. We stopped requesting pledges some years ago. We found that a) the majority of members who gave a pledge didn't meet the pledge, and 2) We also received much more in contributions than was pledged (i.e, a large number of members didn't provide a pledge but gave anyway). We now just base our budget on historical giving patterns.

Anyone that gives and we can determine contact info for (like name and address on a check) we assign an envelope number to in anticipation of having to provide a year end statement. I think I want to count all envelopes with recurring gifts (more than one) in my giving unit count, whether they are members or not. I just don't want to count one-time gifts or small gifts. I am still considering a dollar threshold.

THANKS for the Monthly Contribution Totals Report! It has exactly what I was looking for

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

We also assign a number, but one outside of our normal envelope range, thus we can keep visitors or one-time giving separate.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

TonyL222

Post by TonyL222 »

Great idea! Unfortunately, that train left the station long before my time ;-)

TonyL222

Post by TonyL222 »

Okay, here's how I decided to calculate "Giving Units":

1. Will calculate twice per year (after June and December).
2. Will use the Monthly Contribution Totals report (thanks Neil), convert to Excel, and use the bottom table (All Funds).
3. Will get rid of zero cells so that are blank (so I can "Count" non blanks).
4. If the giving count for an envelope is more than 1 (i.e., more than a one time gift) AND the total amount is equal or greater than $125 (six months) or $250 (one year), I will count that envelope number as a Giving Unit.
5. Total my number of giving units