business paying tithes

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

jurnie05@11

business paying tithes

Post by jurnie05@11 »

Hi, I have a church member who started a business a couple of months ago and the member is paying tithes on what he make from his regular job and paying tithes as an owner or business is paying the tithes. My question is do I give the business a envelope number or do I record it under the member envelope. Thanks for your help

NeilZ

Re: business paying tithes

Post by NeilZ »

jurnie05@11 wrote:Hi, I have a church member who started a business a couple of months ago and the member is paying tithes on what he make from his regular job and paying tithes as an owner or business is paying the tithes. My question is do I give the business a envelope number or do I record it under the member envelope. Thanks for your help
OK ... the business is normally a separate entity. As the member is writing checks against the business, it should have a separate Mailing List Record, Personal Record and envelope number. The church should not have to figure out who or what gets the credit. If he was writing checks against his personal account, there wouldn't be an issue. However, since the business is writing the checks, you can only do what the IRS requires, which is credit the business.

If he is saying that as the business owner he wants to tithe whatever income he receives, then he should pay himself, and then he writes against his personal account.

I would definitely talk to an accountant to be sure.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

jurnie05@11

Re: business paying tithes

Post by jurnie05@11 »

The member is paying tithes for his business with cash no checks. I will definitely speak with an accountant about this because I want to do what's right for the church and the church member. Thanks