expense account for temp restricted contribution

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

bsbrown

expense account for temp restricted contribution

Post by bsbrown »

Receive contributions for Missions which is set up as a temp restricted account. When writing out a check for an amount that was given for a designated missionary, the money is released and the missions expense is used. However, this money is not part of the budgeted amount for missions and makes the budget appear to be over when it's not. How do I "fix" this?

NeilZ

Re: expense account for temp restricted contribution

Post by NeilZ »

bsbrown wrote:Receive contributions for Missions which is set up as a temp restricted account. When writing out a check for an amount that was given for a designated missionary, the money is released and the missions expense is used. However, this money is not part of the budgeted amount for missions and makes the budget appear to be over when it's not. How do I "fix" this?
There's a few things you have to consider here:

1st: such contributions that are given to support a designated person, cannot be listed on the Contributions Statement as a deductible donation, per IRS rules. If the funds are given to the general Missions fund, and then your local missions committee supports a specific missionary from those funds, then they are deductible. Just some background on this to save your church from any issues over this type of giving.

2nd: The funds, since they are designated to support a specific missionary, should have been put in a liability account, as this could be considered a pass-thru since the church has not budgeted funds for this, and the church is merely the conduit. In this case, there is no expense account needed since on the check you credit checking and debit the liability.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

bsbrown

Re: expense account for temp restricted contribution

Post by bsbrown »

thanks Neil. That's what I needed. These are contributions to missionaries the church supports.