Canadian Tax receipts missing note

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

MVA

Canadian Tax receipts missing note

Post by MVA »

Hi there,
I am trying to print my receipts off, and noticed that the note is not showing up on the receipt, nor the signing officer.
I fill in my name, and also a thank you to be posted on the receipt, but it does not show up on the printed receipt.
Please help.
Thanks,
Debby

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Re: Canadian Tax receipts missing note

Post by Jeff »

There is a check box that says to issue official tax receipts. Is that check box checked?

MVA

Post by MVA »

It says print receipt using CRA sample # 1 layout

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Jeff »

On that same step above the "print receipts using CRA Sample #1 layout" there is another check box for "Print tax Receipt" is that checked?

MVA

Post by MVA »

Yes, it is.

MVA

Post by MVA »

It prints the thank you if I don't check the box for using the official CRA receipt

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Jeff »

That is because the sample #1 from the CRA does not contain space for a notes or a thank you.

We got a lot of push back from Canadian customers because the receipt did not look exactly like the sample from the Revenue Canada website. That is why when you check the sample #1 option it makes it look exactly like their example.

I could not find the PDF example on Revenue Canada's website of exactly what the format looks like, but at this link it is in section 9.4 - 1.

http://www.charitycentral.ca/office/AB- ... -AB-EN.pdf

If you want to print the notes, don't check that option.

MVA

Post by MVA »

OK. Then is it still acceptable when it does not contain the location issued? (the church address is where it is issued, and is in fact on the receipts).

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Jeff »

We have had lots of customers for years use the other layouts and have not had a problem from Revenue Canada with the format.

MVA

Post by MVA »

Thank you! :D

Kevin Sawatzky

Post by Kevin Sawatzky »

MVA wrote:OK. Then is it still acceptable when it does not contain the location issued? (the church address is where it is issued, and is in fact on the receipts).
MVA, I would not advise printing tax receipts by unchecking the "Print Tax Receipt" box. By not using this option the receipts will not meet CRA's requirements. This will put your church and your donors at risk.

Obviously, it will only become an issue if you get audited or someone in your church has to send in their receipts and a CRA auditor notices the receipt doesn't meet the requirements. Once this is discovered your church would have to pay a penalty of 5% of the amount of each tax receipt issued. See this link for further details. https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... pting.html

It's not worth the risk. We do up a separate thank-you letter and insert it in with the tax receipt. It's a bit more work, but gives you piece of mind.
Kevin