Fund raiser and contributions disconnect

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

GFBCUser

Fund raiser and contributions disconnect

Post by GFBCUser »

Probably an easy fix - but...
We just had a spaghetti dinner fund raiser for the Youth to raise money for tuition for their Winter Retreat.(all in Youth Fund)
I was given the contribution envelope - $700 in cash.
The person running the dinner was given $40 and $20 by two folks, and told her to use it to purchase some supplies for the dinner, which she did.That was their "upfront" contribution.
When I enter contributions - I have $700 in anonymous cash, but how to do the $60.00?
The contribution report will show $760...but my deposit at the bank will be $700

tborgal

Re: Fund raiser and contributions disconnect

Post by tborgal »

When you enter the $60 contribution post it only to the contribution module. This will update the contributions for the donors but will not post to the accounting module. You will have to enter the $60 contribution separately from the $700 contribution. Make sure to check that the change to post to contribution only selection reset back to post to contribution and accounting modules when you enter the $700 if you posted the $60 first.
Tom

GFBCUser

Post by GFBCUser »

Thank you so much - makes sense.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

What I would do in the future, is if any such contributions are made that they NOT be used to purchase supplies for any fundraiser. All costs should go through the system, and paid from income. This insures that all funds given are accounted for, and there are no questions about funding.

If you really want to make sure that funds given to purchase supplies for fundraisers, you can create a Contribution Fund that updates a Liability account, and then when the receipts are presented for reimbursement, you write the check using funds from the liability account first, then debit the remainder from the expense account.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

GFBCUser

Post by GFBCUser »

This is the first time something like this has happened, and all the work required to make the books balance was an unneeded headache. (but I did learn from it) I am going to make sure that the folks know for future reference how to address contributions. It would have been easier to have her pay upfront and be reimbursed for the expense.

tborgal

Post by tborgal »

What I do is a bit different from Neil's suggestion. If a person wants to contribute material to a function etc. they first make the purchase and then I have them submit a request for reimbursement. After I reimburse them they can return that check as a contribution. That way the material is debited to the proper expense account and the person gets credit for the contribution.
Tom