Correcting a Posted Contribution

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

ldj3224@gmail.com

Correcting a Posted Contribution

Post by ldj3224@gmail.com »

When running contributions for 2017 individual taxes, I discovered a check was credited to the wrong person several months back. How do I edit the contribution to reflect the correct individual? It was not noticed at the time of entry because all figures balanced.

NeilZ

Re: Correcting a Posted Contribution

Post by NeilZ »

ldj3224@gmail.com wrote:When running contributions for 2017 individual taxes, I discovered a check was credited to the wrong person several months back. How do I edit the contribution to reflect the correct individual? It was not noticed at the time of entry because all figures balanced.
Since there will not be any change to the income this is really easy. Here are instructions I gave back in 2016 to someone with the same type of issue, I did a search on 'correcting contributions'.
These instructions are for v11.x:

1. Under View Posted Contributions, find the improperly credited contributor. Find the 'donation' in question, write down the date, amount, check number (if any) and fund listed, then highlight the donation line, then click the Reverse button. This will enter the reversal in the Unposted Contributions queue.

2. Open the Enter Contributions function, enter the date you noted in step 1, select the Contribution Type (check, cash, etc) then click OK. Enter the correct envelope number, check number (if any), fund number, and amount. Click the Save button, then click Done.

3. Then select the Post Contribution function, and post these two items, you need to make sure that you select the posting option of Post to Contributions Module only[/]. You can post to Funds Accounting without a problem, as the system will recognize that there's no change to income, but there's no need, you're correcting an entry, not changing income.

This will reverse the incorrect entry, and add the proper one to the Contributions system, and the Contributions Statement will reflect the changes.

If you're using v10.x, the steps are almost the same except Step 1:

You don't have a Reverse button, so you'll have to do that manually. After you write down all the information as listed in step 1, move to step 2, and proceed with entering the correct data. Then click Save. Now, enter the Incorrect data (the envelope number, check number, fund), but when entering the amount enter it as a negative number.

For example: If the amount was $25.00, you would enter -25.00. Once done entering this reversal entry, click Save then Done and proceed on to step 3.

Hope this helps.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

ldj3224@gmail.com

Post by ldj3224@gmail.com »

Instructions worked perfectly for correcting a contribution posted to the incorrect envelope number in a prior year. Can I use the same procedure when correcting a posting to an incorrect envelope number in the current year?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

ldj3224@gmail.com wrote:Instructions worked perfectly for correcting a contribution posted to the incorrect envelope number in a prior year. Can I use the same procedure when correcting a posting to an incorrect envelope number in the current year?
Yep .. exactly the same process, as long as it doesn't change the amount of the original deposit, nor the contribution fund where the funds were contributed to, its exactly the same.

However, if it does do something along those lines (change amount deposited, or funds going to a different contribution fund), then you would post both the reversal and correction to Funds Accounting to make that adjustment.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

whfpc

Post by whfpc »

Is the process the same for v12?

Robin

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

whfpc wrote:Is the process the same for v12?

Robin
It should be, use the directions I have listed above for v11.x.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

whfpc

Post by whfpc »

Got it !!! Thanks

dishman2000

Post by dishman2000 »

I have a similar situation, but I have MULTIPLE contributions that need to be changed to another donor. They were incorrectly entered to the "Sr" name when they should have been posted to the "Jr" name. There were probably 50 transactions from January through August before I noticed the error. The "Sr" donor has not given anything to the church in several years, so is there a way to change batches (similar to when you are changing a donor to another family through marriage). I have read this post and am trying to avoid reversing over 50 contributions individually and then re-entering each one.

Jay

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

dishman2000 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:46 pm
I have a similar situation, but I have MULTIPLE contributions that need to be changed to another donor. They were incorrectly entered to the "Sr" name when they should have been posted to the "Jr" name. There were probably 50 transactions from January through August before I noticed the error. The "Sr" donor has not given anything to the church in several years, so is there a way to change batches (similar to when you are changing a donor to another family through marriage). I have read this post and am trying to avoid reversing over 50 contributions individually and then re-entering each one.

Jay
Here's a quick way ... as long as you're SURE that Sr has not been giving anything in the past 3 or 4 years as this will move ALL history.

1: move the Sr's PERSONAL record to the Jr's Mailing List record, do not DELETE the Mailing List record for Sr. (The system will ask, just click no)
2: Once the Sr's record is listed under the Jr's, go into Contributions and change the Sr's envelope number to the Jr's using the "Reassign" envelope number function. All those contributions will move to the Jr's record.
3: Once that has been done, go into the Sr's personal record and blank out the envelope number.
4: Move the Sr's personal record to his original Mailing List record.

Again, this will move ALL giving history as far back as you have records.

Other than that, I don't know of any other way to do this.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.