Email Canadian Tax Receipts - Keeping File for CRA

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

hccdan

Email Canadian Tax Receipts - Keeping File for CRA

Post by hccdan »

I would like to email Canadian tax receipts for those that have an email address and print a receipt for those that do not. I have worked my way through all the steps on how to do this. However, for the CRA I need to keep a copy of all receipts that have been issued. In previous years I would just get a PDF of all of the tax receipts, print the receipts from the PDF, and save a copy of that PDF for any future audits. When choosing the option to email and print only those tax receipts that do not have an email, I can get a PDF of those receipts that I am going to print.

My question is, how do I get a copy of all those receipts that have been emailed out. I know that I could CC myself on the email, but then I would end up with 150+ emails with receipts attached. I could save those individual emails into a folder on my PC but then on any audit would end up having to print each of those emails out for the auditor. Am I missing something here?

Dan

NeilZ

Re: Email Canadian Tax Receipts - Keeping File for CRA

Post by NeilZ »

hccdan wrote:I would like to email Canadian tax receipts for those that have an email address and print a receipt for those that do not. I have worked my way through all the steps on how to do this. However, for the CRA I need to keep a copy of all receipts that have been issued. In previous years I would just get a PDF of all of the tax receipts, print the receipts from the PDF, and save a copy of that PDF for any future audits. When choosing the option to email and print only those tax receipts that do not have an email, I can get a PDF of those receipts that I am going to print.

My question is, how do I get a copy of all those receipts that have been emailed out. I know that I could CC myself on the email, but then I would end up with 150+ emails with receipts attached. I could save those individual emails into a folder on my PC but then on any audit would end up having to print each of those emails out for the auditor. Am I missing something here?

Dan
I had to verify that the option existed for the Canadian Receipt system, but when you get to the point where you get ready to print or email the statements, you should see three options: Print all statements, Print only statements not set to email, and Email Statements.

What you can do is select the Email Statements option, but then choose the Print all Statements selection under that option. In this way you'll get all the statements sent to print, and you can save that as a PDF. Later in the process you'll also get a chance to print a list of those persons who did not get emailed.

The problem with this is that you'll have to find each donor who did not want the statement emailed, and print their statement separately.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

hccdan

Post by hccdan »

Thanks Neil for your suggestion. That was the only option that I could come up with as well but thought that maybe I was missing something. It makes a bit more work than just printing all or emailing all. I am at the point of trying to decide if emailing tax receipts is worth it, or if we just print them all like we used to do. Having to pick out individual receipts from a file to print is definitely a bit more work.

Don't know if the technical team reads these posts. What would be really helpful for Canadian tax receipts emailed is that file is produced of all the receipts emailed in addition to the file that is produced of receipts not emailed. Those two files would then contain all the receipts that we need to get for an audit.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

hccdan wrote:Thanks Neil for your suggestion. That was the only option that I could come up with as well but thought that maybe I was missing something. It makes a bit more work than just printing all or emailing all. I am at the point of trying to decide if emailing tax receipts is worth it, or if we just print them all like we used to do. Having to pick out individual receipts from a file to print is definitely a bit more work.

Don't know if the technical team reads these posts. What would be really helpful for Canadian tax receipts emailed is that file is produced of all the receipts emailed in addition to the file that is produced of receipts not emailed. Those two files would then contain all the receipts that we need to get for an audit.
FWIW ... its actually a very good idea to have a separate 'print receipts (or in my case statements) sent by email'. In my case it would be for reference if needed, but I can see where it would save you a lot of time.

You may want to send an email to 'wishlist@powerchurch.com' and fully explain why such an option would help you and save you time.

That said, I don't know what the Canadian rules are about reprinting an initial tax receipt from a PDF, so you have to make sure its legal for you to do.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.