Vanco Payment Mobile App - Import Transactions

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Carol D

Vanco Payment Mobile App - Import Transactions

Post by Carol D »

We are using the Vanco Payment Solutions Mobile app to take credit card payments at our Annual Church Picnic Fundraiser.

I have successfully defined an Contribution Fund "Picnic Sales' in PowerChurch and at the Vanco site. It is currently the only fund allowed for the mobile app.

I am seeking information from anyone that can help with the eventual import of these transactions into PowerChurch.

My main question is this, when someone uses this form of payment I don't want this transaction recorded to them specifically because it is not a donation.
I would like to record it under the envelope number I have assigned to the Church.

So I think that when I import these transactions I will be able to change the Vanco member id from whatever it is to what I want it to be.
I envision that I will have to modify all the transactions associated with my 'Picnic Sales' contribution fund to use the Church envelope number so as not to attribute this money to an individual giving statement.

Is this what you would think or is there some other way.
I don't expect many payments this way since this is the first we will be offering this type of payment but if there were many I was hoping for a default way of assigning the right envelope number (member id) for these transactions.

Thanks in advance.

sgbani

Re: Vanco Payment Mobile App - Import Transactions

Post by sgbani »

Is your Picnic Sales contribution fund considered a non-deductible income / donation fund? I ask because when I have received 'contributions / donations' are not non-deductible (ie paying for goods or events), I use a defined contribution fund that is considered non-deductible, but a contribution fund number that is in a range that is set aside for non-deductible contributions. It would show under their name as a contribution, but when running contribution statements, I exclude the range of funds that are non-deductible, and therefore never shows.

as far as I understand the Vanco interface, everyone has a unique ID, which you can change to the envelope number, or leave alone. Upon import, you would likely be prompted to change that number. I wonder if you could artificially change each of those imported transactions to a specific envelope number that is 'not the person' (like a general loose collection number). I am not sure if that is feasible from a time perspective.

I almost want to keep track of everyone that gives, even if it is not considered a deductible donation. This gives dual records (Vanco and PC+) as to the transaction. I just exclude the contributions in any individual giving statements.

Does my perspective make sense?

tborgal

Post by tborgal »

I process these types of offerings the same as "sgbani" does. This keeps track of the donation by the giver. I have created several donation funds in the 500+ range which are all non-deductable contributions. As far as the Vanco contributor number is concerned. Once you change the contributors number it will come up with the new number when you receive a new contribution thru Vanco. This means you will have to change it back to the contributors assigned envelope number. You might want to take a look at this post about envelope links with Vanco. https://www.powerchurch.com/forum/viewt ... 267#p43374.
Tom

Carol D

Post by Carol D »

Thanks for your repsonses. I am a little bit confused though from what I thought would work.

I have numbered my contribution fund so that I could exclude it if necessary.

I don't feel I want to keep track of non-deductible 'donations' and I don't really consider this a donation anyway.
I will not be recording the cash paid for the picnic by church members or anyone else for that matter so I don't think I need that information just because they
paid with a credit card.

When I tried to ask this question of Vanco they referred me to ask PowerChurch users for how to handle it in powerChurch. It really is a combination of resources necessary to answer this question.

I am going to try to put an example here to illustrate what i think may happen and what I think I should be able to do and then maybe go from there.

On import from Vanco in PowerChurch I may get this screen for example:

member Id name date fund amount
5 (env#) Carol 8/2/18 203(bulding fund) 20.00
5 Carol 8/10/18 903(picnic sale) 15.00
28145 random #1 8/10/18 903 15.00
28564 random #2 8/10/18 903 15.00
38793 member #1 8/10/18 903 15.00

Assumption 1: Vanco can determine member id because Carol(church member) used the same credit card associated with her online account.
Assumption 2: Vanco assigns a random member id even if it's Carol because she used a different credit card.(not shown in this example)
Assumption 3: Member #1 is a church member without an online account set up so random member id is generated.
Assumption 4: I can change the member id on rows 3-5 to church envelope number 9001 for import because those id's will not be found and the import process gives me a chance to correct this.

So I could change all transactions for fund 903 to be envelope(memberid) 9001 assigned to the church where the member id was not found in my database of envelope numbers.

Any that matched to an envelope number will have to remain that way so the fund number being in a range that can be excluded is necessary.

I feel like this is what I want to do. Tedious I agree if i have many credit card transactions from the picnic sales which I was wondering if there was a way to avoid that and set a default member id or envelope number for a fund.

What am i missing?
Thanks.

Carol D

Post by Carol D »

update to my post.

I did find out from Vanco that they match on email address. So if one is entered through the mobile app and it matches an online account with them they will retrieve the member id from that online account already set up.
So I think I can just not enter email addresses for the mobile app transactions and they should come through with member id's that will not match with my envelope numbers and then I would be able to intervene at the import stage and assign any transactions with my Picnic Sales contribution fund number be the church envelope number.