Need to reverse an entire posted contributions entry

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

ULBChurch

Need to reverse an entire posted contributions entry

Post by ULBChurch »

After I posted the contributions, the finance team informed me of the fact that 2 checks had been left out of the deposit and never made it to the bank. Upon checking the deposit through the bank, I realized that not only were the two checks left out, but the cash amount was incorrect as well. I would like to just void or reverse the entire transaction and start over, but am unsure as to how to do that. Could you please help?

NeilZ

Re: Need to reverse an entire posted contributions entry

Post by NeilZ »

ULBChurch wrote:After I posted the contributions, the finance team informed me of the fact that 2 checks had been left out of the deposit and never made it to the bank. Upon checking the deposit through the bank, I realized that not only were the two checks left out, but the cash amount was incorrect as well. I would like to just void or reverse the entire transaction and start over, but am unsure as to how to do that. Could you please help?
The easiest way is to just reverse the transaction in Funds Accounting. That still leaves the incorrect entries in Contributions, but your system and the bank will be synced.

I'd worry about the deposit, then correct Contributions separately.

1. Reverse the transaction in Funds Accounting.
2. Enter a new deposit transaction with the correct amounts for checks and cash.
3. Post both transactions.

This cleans up that issue. Now if you know where the incorrect cash amount was entered, I'd fix that in contributions by reversing that incorrect entry, and entering a new contribution for that date with the correct amount of cash. Then I'd just post that to Contributions, NOT to Funds Accounting. All you're doing is correcting the donor's contribution statement.

However, if you have no idea where that was done. What I suggest is to just change the amount of any loose 'plate' offerings to account for the difference. Reverse the original entry, and enter a replacement for the same date, and correct amount. Again, only post that to Contributions.

The best way to keep this from happening in future is to not post Contributions until you get the deposit receipt back from the bank.

What I have the Contributions Entry people do is print out the Funds Report for that day with UNPOSTED selected on the option window. Then I also have them print the Unposted Contributions report listing the names and amounts entered. The entry people verify the amounts of all checks against the printed Bank Deposit slip, and all cash is counted twice. This usually catches any issues prior to the Sunday night drop deposit.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

ULBChurch

Re: Need to reverse an entire posted contributions entry

Post by ULBChurch »

Thanks so much. I believe I have fixed the issue and will certainly take your advice and make sure the deposit is correct before I post.