reimbursement/contribution

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

stthomasbham

reimbursement/contribution

Post by stthomasbham »

When we followed up with the payee of an outstanding check, he said he had lost that check and did not want the church to issue a new check. Instead, he wanted it to be considered a donation to the church and have that amount show up on a contribution statement. What is the best way to do that?

NeilZ

Re: reimbursement/contribution

Post by NeilZ »

stthomasbham wrote:When we followed up with the payee of an outstanding check, he said he had lost that check and did not want the church to issue a new check. Instead, he wanted it to be considered a donation to the church and have that amount show up on a contribution statement. What is the best way to do that?
I would do the following:

1. Put a stop payment on the check. This insures that the check, if someone else finds it, is not cashed. Then void the check.
2. I would reissue the check, so that the expense of what was purchased is seen in the Income & Expense report for the year.
3. If he still wants to give it to the church, he should then sign it over to the church.

This provides a full audit trail over the first check, shows the expense, and puts the requirement that there be an actual transfer of funds in some way to show as a contribution.

I would also start thinking about how the church does reimbursements for purchases that are used in the mission of the church.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

stthomasbham

Re: reimbursement/contribution

Post by stthomasbham »

Thank you!