How do I post contributions for family without envelope no.?

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

joshmartin

How do I post contributions for family without envelope no.?

Post by joshmartin »

I have a number of folks who contribute consistently or inconsistently throughout the year. They have not been assigned an envelope number. Is there any way to enter their contributions without entering an envelope number? I tried entering them under Envelope # 0 with a memo of their name, but it wouldn't accept envelope 0.

tborgal

Re: How do I post contributions for family without envelope

Post by tborgal »

There is no way to enter a contribution without issuing the contributor an envelope number. The number does not have to be a number of an envelope that you give to the contributor. I gave numbers that were quite high, in the 6000 range to contributor who did not want to deal with envelopes. In fact the software will give new contributors the next highest unused number when you issue them a number if you choose to do it that way.
Tom

joshmartin

Post by joshmartin »

Oh okay! That makes total sense. I'll start adding them in the higher numbers then. Thanks for the help!

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

joshmartin wrote:Oh okay! That makes total sense. I'll start adding them in the higher numbers then. Thanks for the help!
You can also use the envelope number 'series' to isolate donors by groups. For example, what I do is this:

1- 299 - regular envelopes
400 - 998 - non-member giving (no envelopes)
999 - Loose Plate Giving (Lucy Cash)
1000 - 2999 - archives (former members, deceased, etc) You have to maintain giving records for at least 4 years per IRS rules)

This way you can cover current members with envelopes, visitors and other occasional givers, and be able to maintain the history needed, but free up envelope numbers for new members.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.