Contibutions

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

pennymacpherson

Contibutions

Post by pennymacpherson »

Can more than one bank account be set up in the contributions module?
I have two different banks set up to receive contributions.
Can I set up another bank account in contributions and mark one account as the default bank?

NeilZ

Re: Contibutions

Post by NeilZ »

pennymacpherson wrote:Can more than one bank account be set up in the contributions module?
I have two different banks set up to receive contributions.
Can I set up another bank account in contributions and mark one account as the default bank?
You can use two separate banks as each bank will have its own account in Fund Accounting, however, you CANNOT switch back and forth without changing the account numbers in the Contribution Fund setup.

This will work fine if you have one bank where you accept deposits for operating tithes and offerings (Contribution Fund 100), and one for Missions (Contribution Fund 300). Each Contribution Fund will have the information setup for the respective bank. You'll also have to manually write the deposit slip, as Contributions lists all deposits on one slip. This can be aggravating, what I did at one location (before we merged the bank accounts) was to have the Operations (and any other funds) entered using Sunday's date, and the Missions using Monday's date. This way you have the separation in the Contribution reports which will properly reflect the amounts going to each bank.

However, if you put split Tithes & Offerings for Operations to the different banks, you'll have to create two separate Tithes & Offerings Contribution Funds and set each one up with the proper bank accounts. Again, I'd enter the Contributions separately using different dates.

<Personal Opinion>
Having once had to use two separate banks when doing Contribution deposits, I can attest that it can cause issues, especially if you have a team entering Contributions on Sunday. This was one of the reasons that we moved everything to one bank account. This eliminated any issues with misrouted contributions, and made reconciliations and audits much easier. We let the system take care of the funds separation as designed, and have had no problems.

Unless there's a really good reason why you can't use one bank account, I'd look into merging both into one checking account. Even if you need to put some in a 'money market' (which really does not get you much more in today's world), you can deposit all in one account, then transfer funds online, and enter the transaction in Powerchurch to list the transfer in the system.

</Personal Opinion>
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.