ACH Return

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

stthomasbham

ACH Return

Post by stthomasbham »

We use Vanco for electronic giving. A member did one transaction in Vanco contributing to two different funds using two different bank accounts. One of the bank account numbers was incorrect so that contribution was returned. The transaction was like this...
- Contribution of $50 to general fund with bank account A - processed as normal
- Contribution of $200 to capital campaign with bank account B - processed but then returned due to incorrect account number

If I reverse the transaction, I will reverse both contributions but only one of them needs to be reversed. What's the best way to handle this?

NeilZ

Re: ACH Return

Post by NeilZ »

stthomasbham wrote:We use Vanco for electronic giving. A member did one transaction in Vanco contributing to two different funds using two different bank accounts. One of the bank account numbers was incorrect so that contribution was returned. The transaction was like this...
- Contribution of $50 to general fund with bank account A - processed as normal
- Contribution of $200 to capital campaign with bank account B - processed but then returned due to incorrect account number

If I reverse the transaction, I will reverse both contributions but only one of them needs to be reversed. What's the best way to handle this?
First off, you need to do this from Contributions and after you've posted all other contributions. Then if you can't separate the two nothing says you can't reverse both. You can always add the one back that's correct, just make sure you use the same date as the original deposit.

Then Post Contributions over to Funds Accounting. The system will see that one contribution is basically canceling each other out, and will not create a transaction for Funds Accounting. The other will be properly handled by the system.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.