Estate contribution

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

TimD

Estate contribution

Post by TimD »

We have received a check from the Estate of a deceased member. We would like to post this donation to the member's name but make it show as a check from the estate. Is there a way to post to the member's number but show the posting as a separate account or can I give the member another number without creating a new membership and not changing the original offering number?

NeilZ

Re: Estate contribution

Post by NeilZ »

Linda W wrote:We have received a check from the Estate of a deceased member. We would like to post this donation to the member's name but make it show as a check from the estate. Is there a way to post to the member's number but show the posting as a separate account or can I give the member another number without creating a new membership and not changing the original offering number?
My usual actions when a member passes, is to do the usual things, update the membership status, move the envelope number to our archive section, show the date of death, etc. But if there's no longer a surviving spouse, I change the address from Mrs. Jane Smith[/] to The Estate of Mrs. Jane Smith. This is because the deceased member's estate MUST file an income tax return for the estate. So at the end of 2019, anyone who passed their estate would get the end of year contributions statement.

Now, I'm trying to understand why you want to issue a different number for the deceased member's estate. In essence, the funds came from the deceased member, there is no need to create a different envelope number for this, as this contribution, as well as any others made this year before she passed, should all be listed as to "The Estate of".
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.