Contribution posting options

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

mikenerney

Contribution posting options

Post by mikenerney »

Our church is trying to start using Fund Accounting after just using Contributions module. The Contributions Setup shows Post Contributions to: UPDATE FUND ACCCOUNTING. However, when I use the Contributions module to key and post a contribution, the only posting option is POST TO CONTRIBUTIONS MODULE ONLY. The POST TO FUND ACCOUNTING option is grayed out. Keep checking the overall setup and it is correct. Any thoughts?
Mike Nerney, Associate Pastor
Calvary Baptist Church, Bel Air, MD

NeilZ

Re: Contribution posting options

Post by NeilZ »

mikenerney wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:55 am
Our church is trying to start using Fund Accounting after just using Contributions module. The Contributions Setup shows Post Contributions to: UPDATE FUND ACCCOUNTING. However, when I use the Contributions module to key and post a contribution, the only posting option is POST TO CONTRIBUTIONS MODULE ONLY. The POST TO FUND ACCOUNTING option is grayed out. Keep checking the overall setup and it is correct. Any thoughts?
You need to have Funds Accounting setup first, then you need to connect the various INCOME accounts in the Chart of Accounts to the Contribution Funds in Contributions.

You do this via the Contributions -> Setup -> Maintain List of Contributions Funds. On each Contribution Fund in the list, under the Accounting tab, you will see that there are two accounts you need to list there:

1. The Bank Account as the DEBIT account
2. The INCOME account as the CREDIT account.

The Contributions module will use these account numbers to create the correct transaction for posting to the Funds Accounting Unposted Transaction queue. Without this setup, the entry will remain grayed out.

This setup is covered in the PCPlus v12 manual on page 130.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

mikenerney

Post by mikenerney »

Neil -
I have done the Fund Acctg setup and have dr and cr accounts for all Contr Funds used. However, I am trying to post to Fund Accounting the contributions that were previously only posted to the contribution module. When I did a test contribution in the current month, it rolled up to Fund Acctg find. I am trying to see if it's possible to for the rest of this year (Jan - Sept) contributions to roll up to Fund Accounting now that I have linked all dr and cr accounts in the Contr Funds. It won't seem to allow me to post backwards to those that were already done solely in the Contr module, prior to beginning to use Fund Accounting. Let me know if I'm making any sense. I am a long time user but trying to help another church that abandoned use of the other modules a number of years ago and now I'm trying to bring them back up to full use.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

mikenerney wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:44 pm
Neil -
I have done the Fund Acctg setup and have dr and cr accounts for all Contr Funds used. However, I am trying to post to Fund Accounting the contributions that were previously only posted to the contribution module. When I did a test contribution in the current month, it rolled up to Fund Acctg find. I am trying to see if it's possible to for the rest of this year (Jan - Sept) contributions to roll up to Fund Accounting now that I have linked all dr and cr accounts in the Contr Funds. It won't seem to allow me to post backwards to those that were already done solely in the Contr module, prior to beginning to use Fund Accounting. Let me know if I'm making any sense. I am a long time user but trying to help another church that abandoned use of the other modules a number of years ago and now I'm trying to bring them back up to full use.
You can't do that as they've already been posted, and its not a good idea to try to move these previous amounts to FA. Since you're setting up Fund Accounting, you should be using the current checking account balance, which will already have included all previous Contributions. So you'd be doubling the income and the bank account.

Your best bet is to just move forward from the beginning of October (or whenever you setup Fund Accounting and assigned the Accounting accounts in Contribution Funds) and go from there.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

mikenerney

Post by mikenerney »

Thanks