Contribution Import from .csv file

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

LtfPastor

Contribution Import from .csv file

Post by LtfPastor »

I was wondering if there is a setting that would auto translate names into envelope numbers when importing the .csv file of contributions from our online giving platform? We currently have to replace each name with the correct matching envelope number, which is VERY burdensome. Looking for easier ways to import the information without having to work so hard.

NeilZ

Re: Contribution Import from .csv file

Post by NeilZ »

LtfPastor wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:55 pm
I was wondering if there is a setting that would auto translate names into envelope numbers when importing the .csv file of contributions from our online giving platform? We currently have to replace each name with the correct matching envelope number, which is VERY burdensome. Looking for easier ways to import the information without having to work so hard.
There is no such setting as the envelope number is what the Contributions database uses to tie in with the Membership database. That is the only connection to membership, there is no data flowing the other way.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

CranfordUMC

Post by CranfordUMC »

Are you receiving the .csv file from Vanco? Within Vanco you can assign the envelope number to the giver. If you signup to automatically import the entries through PC, you don't have to worry about a .csv file. It works great.
Steve Heller
Treasurer
Cranford United Methodist Church

LtfPastor

Post by LtfPastor »

Unfortunately we aren't using VANCO, but I appreciate your responses...will just have to figure out a way to make it work.

Thanks again!

SusanG

Post by SusanG »

Here is what I would do.

If your vendor allows you to edit the donor information, edit the donor name to include the pound sign (#) followed by the donor's envelope number. Rinse and repeat.

Once you've updated your donor records,

Download the CSV file.
Open the CSV file in Excel.
Insert a blank column after the Name column.
Go to the Name column.
Select the entire column.
Select Data from the Ribbon in Excel.
Click Text to Columns.
Select Delimited. Click Next.
Check Other. Enter # in the field next to other. Click Finished.

You will now have a new column with the envelope number.

I hope this helps.

Susan