unmarked cash

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

meadowbrookfwbchurch

unmarked cash

Post by meadowbrookfwbchurch »

How do I enter unmarked cash from the offering plate. It will go in tithes and offerings, but do I create Unmarked Cash for a name and assign an envelope number?

NeilZ

Re: unmarked cash

Post by NeilZ »

meadowbrookfwbchurch wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:14 pm
How do I enter unmarked cash from the offering plate. It will go in tithes and offerings, but do I create Unmarked Cash for a name and assign an envelope number?
This has been asked a lot ... and the easiest way to respond is to point you to a 'Tech #2" article from 2000, that still works today. Look for the paragraph headed Pennies From Heaven:

https://www.powerchurch.com/support/153 ... ring-plate
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

bjwhitson

Post by bjwhitson »

Hi Neil,
We have a way to track loose cash but when I read the article, it talks about non-cash contributions. I set up the appropriate items but I guess it assumes that you know the value of that chicken :D or can of paint to order to enter it into the Contribution module. I guess the donor has to tell me what the value of their "gift" is. Correct?
BJW
Finance Committee-HPC
PC+ user since 2008
Grayson, GA

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

bjwhitson wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:24 pm
Hi Neil,
We have a way to track loose cash but when I read the article, it talks about non-cash contributions. I set up the appropriate items but I guess it assumes that you know the value of that chicken :D or can of paint to order to enter it into the Contribution module. I guess the donor has to tell me what the value of their "gift" is. Correct?
Did you read the paragraph Pennies from Heaven? That talks about loose cash plate offerings. Yes, the donor has to tell you what the value is, it is NOT up to the church to determine that. This is covered in IRS regulations on charitable giving.

FWIW ... I have never tracked non-monetary gifts in Powerchurch. Items donated are acknowledged by a letter thanking the donor for the gift, and describing what the item is. It does NOT show any value, again per IRS advice.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

bjwhitson

Post by bjwhitson »

That's exactly the way that I do it - send a letter thanking them for their donation.
Thanks for your input!
BJW
BJW
Finance Committee-HPC
PC+ user since 2008
Grayson, GA