Contributions

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

AhlquistK

Contributions

Post by AhlquistK »

What is the best way to record a cash donation without identifying themselves. We have members that don't fill out an envelope but put cash in the donation box.

NeilZ

Re: Contributions

Post by NeilZ »

AhlquistK wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:51 pm
What is the best way to record a cash donation without identifying themselves. We have members that don't fill out an envelope but put cash in the donation box.
Back in the early 2000s, Powerchurch used to send out emails called 'Tales from Tech 2", which gave advice on many of the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) received here on the forum, as well as to their customer service line.

One of them had advice about this.
PENNIES FROM HEAVEN

Sometimes I'm asked what to do about money that's found on the floor or at the bottom of the collection plate when you have no idea who it's from. Certainly, you can't just stick it in your pocket (yes, I'm talking to you now). You've got to enter it into Contributions. But, what envelope number do you give credit to?

What many churches do is set up a non-existent person (in a non-existent family) with an easy to remember envelope number and they give that person credit for the contribution.

You can call the person anything you want, but some of my favorites include Johnny or Lucy Cash. (Get it? Lucy Cash. Loose Cash. That still makes me laugh.)

As a side note here, you might choose to give them an envelope number outside of the range of numbers you've given your members so that you can exclude them from reports or when you print statements. (Of course, you might want them on reports. I don't know. It's up to you.) Either way, you might give them the church's address in case you accidentally send out a statement or print a label for them. You might also want to exclude them from mailouts and Membership reports, but again, that's up to you.
I've been following this advice since I've been using Powerchurch from the late 1990's. When I setup Powerchurch for a congregation I always create a Family for Lucy Cash using the church's mailing address and phone number, and selecting an envelope number outside the normal range of numbers. In most cases I use 999.

This is the easiest method to handle such loose cash offerings/
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

AhlquistK

Post by AhlquistK »

Thank you so much!

Turning Point

Post by Turning Point »

We actually have a "donor" called loose cash. We treat it like a regular person and include the amounts in all of our reports. Works great for us.
Lisa