How do I handle credit card donations?

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Loris

How do I handle credit card donations?

Post by Loris »

Not "cash", not "check", but donations made by credit card. We've just started letting people pay their pledges, or make donation by credit card. Is there a way to handle this in PowerChurch? Right now we're listing them as cash, but that throws off the deposit report. We're hand-editing the deposit report. Has someone else already been through this?

Thank you very much!

Loris

NeilZ

Re: How do I handle credit card donations?

Post by NeilZ »

Loris wrote:Not "cash", not "check", but donations made by credit card. We've just started letting people pay their pledges, or make donation by credit card. Is there a way to handle this in PowerChurch? Right now we're listing them as cash, but that throws off the deposit report. We're hand-editing the deposit report. Has someone else already been through this?

Thank you very much!

Loris
There is no good way to handle credit card donations, except to do the following.

1. Do your normal contribution recording of cash & checks on Sunday.
2. Then either post those contribtutions right then and there, or wait until Monday
3. Then do the credit card contributions.

FWIW ... our Session talked about this, and dropped it as there is no way to distinguish between a credit or debit card, and it was felt that if a family cannot make its contribution by paying via cash or check (or even through EFT through a bank's online bill pay), then they shouldn't be putting itself further in a hole by using a credit card.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Loris

Post by Loris »

Thanks, Neil, for the reply!

I hadn't thought of doing a second posting. I'll pass the idea along to the Receiving Treasurer.

Do you happen to know if PowerChurch has any plans to incorporate Credit Cards into their contributions module?

Loris
Moorpark Presbyterian Church

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Loris wrote: Do you happen to know if PowerChurch has any plans to incorporate Credit Cards into their contributions module?

Loris
Moorpark Presbyterian Church
It may be something on the wish list ... but I don't know for sure.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

jeffkoke

Re: How do I handle credit card donations?

Post by jeffkoke »

Loris wrote:Not "cash", not "check", but donations made by credit card. We've just started letting people pay their pledges, or make donation by credit card. Is there a way to handle this in PowerChurch? Right now we're listing them as cash, but that throws off the deposit report. We're hand-editing the deposit report. Has someone else already been through this?

Thank you very much!

Loris
Loris,

We also do a second posting using the check input. For the check number, we put in CC for credit card...at least that's what I remember. We don't post the credit card transactions until the card account number and amounts are accepted and the transaction completed.

Jeff
Jeff
--
Jeff Koke, KK4SN
Great Bridge Church of God
Chesapeake VA
"Every Father should remember that one day his
children will follow his example instead of his advice."

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Jeff »

This isn't a solution for version 9, but is a plug for version 10. In version 10, we have added a new contribution type field. Contribution types are checks, cash, credit card, online etc. When you post you can select which types on contributions to post so you can post credit cards seperately from checks and cash.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Jeff wrote:This isn't a solution for version 9, but is a plug for version 10. In version 10, we have added a new contribution type field. Contribution types are checks, cash, credit card, online etc. When you post you can select which types on contributions to post so you can post credit cards seperately from checks and cash.
YeeHaa ... !! You guys have been listening as usual !!
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Jeff »

This is a little premature about some changes in version 10, but we are partnering with a company called Quality Attribues. They have a product called Paperless Payments that a church can integrate into their website to accept online giving. http://software.qualityattributes.com/p ... _payments/

One of the things we liked about them was that they did not charge a monthly fee. If someone is giving by bank draft, it is a flat $1 processing fee. If they are using a credit card, there is a $1 plus a percentage. There is a setup fee but I am not sure right now what it is.

(This feature is not in the latest released beta) In version 10, from the contribution menu, you will select import online giving, PC+ will connect to their website and download the latest contributions. If a new contributor has given online you are prompted to match them to your records in PC+ similar to how the check scanner works now. You can also select which contribution funds you want to allow people to give to online and this integrates back into their server and gives those funds as options for people to give to.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

I knew you guys were keeping a few things under your hats !!

Could this be used to take in payments for bible study materials, and other 'one time' social things sponsored by the church ??
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Jeff »

It could be used to receive any kind of payment. Right now the integration with PC+ is to the contribution module only. So those payments would come into the contribution module. This probably is not that much of a problem because a lot of churches receive these kinds of payments into contributions module already. They can then exclude those funds from the contribution statements.