Multiple Computers/Users

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

beckyn

Multiple Computers/Users

Post by beckyn »

Some background information - All of our users use PCP v9 on Windows XP. The Pastor, Secretary, and Info Mgr are using it on a home network-type setup in the office. The Treasurer uses it on her home computer and runs independently from the church files. Now we have a new situation where the Financial Secretary is going to load it on his home computer to post contributions, do Giving reports, etc.

We are researching the best way to set up PCP9 for the Financial Secretary (on his home computer) so that he can have access to family/personal address information - preferrably just the Family "Contact" tab and the Personal "Profile Information" tab - IF that's possible.

This way, he can enter envelope number information and use the name/address data we've already entered.

The three other pieces that I question are:
1) should I as administrator set it up on his computer letting him enter his password for his User ID so that I can limit his access?;

2) how do we keep his membership records current?;

3) I assume he'll be able to export his reports to a file that he can print at church without having to "restore" Contribution data to our system (I know he'll NOT want that private information loaded here, and there is no need that I can think of since his "Contributions" won't be able to "talk to" the Treasurer's "Accounting".

If you have experienced this scenario and can shed any light on best steps, we would appreciate any thing you can share.

Thank you!
Beckyn
If this should be posted in a different section, please advise.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Beckln,

if you're going to run this way, you're asking for trouble. I can see multiple instances of data being overwritten, lost, etc.

We keep ALL our data on our church system, so there are no sync issues, plus it is backed up daily via our network's daily backup, and weekly offsite backups are made by the database admin.

Our Treasurer and Financial Secretary keep all their data on that system, and the financial secretary posts directly to Fund Accounting so there is no need to worry about overwritten data or forgetting to send over a 'posting file'.

The system is accessed by the Financial Secretary through GoToMyPC from home for reports. Absolutely NO contributions are entered this way, as that is a fiduciary headache that no one want's to worry about. All contributions are entered by a set of counters each Sunday, and then is posted by the Financial Secretary.

I would seriously think twice about having different copies of the data files all over the place.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

jeffkoke

Re: Multiple Computers/Users

Post by jeffkoke »

Beckyn,

I strongly, strongly suggest you rethink this entire process.

If you have need of people using PowerChurch external to your network, I suggest you look into the services of gotomypc.com or logmein.com or something similar. <This is not an endorsement of either company and I do not work for either of them.>

You can set somthing up yourself using hamachi and realvnc/tightvnc/vnc. <same disclaimer applies>.

If you group of users continue in their current methods, you are going to lose data.

Just my $.07 worth,
Jeff
Jeff
--
Jeff Koke, KK4SN
Great Bridge Church of God
Chesapeake VA
"Every Father should remember that one day his
children will follow his example instead of his advice."