One time donors

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

GSA Candace

One time donors

Post by GSA Candace »

We have had a number of members pass away in 2021 and as a result received several gifts in memory. These are one time donors and are not likely to be donating again in the future. Now that we have printed our 2021 tax receipts can we delete their information and reuse the envelope numbers they were assigned? Thanks

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: One time donors

Post by Zorak »

You will need to maintain those records for a number of years. I will let someone else speak to how long that actually is. It's a different number every time I hear someone talk about how long to keep them.

Starting with Version 12, you can define a range of inactive envelope numbers, like 10,000 and higher, then move your inactive donors into that envelope number range, keeping their records around for historical reporting, but removing them from envelope number lookups on reports and data entry screens.

NeilZ

Re: One time donors

Post by NeilZ »

You do need to maintain those records according to IRS regulations, but does not list a length of time.

On page 26 of IRS Pub 1828, there's a table that gives 'suggested' retention time. The one that would pertain to Contribution records are:
Records of revenue and expenses, including payroll records.
Retain for at least four years after filing the returns to which they relate.
So you must keep them in the system for at least four years. The other date that may influence retention is how long the IRS has to audit a return. This is three years after the return has been filed. In cases of fraud, they can go back longer.

At all the churches I've setup PCPlus at, I advise them anywhere from 4 to 7 years. As Zorak pointed out, you can put these 'one-time' donations in a specific envelope 'bracket'. I also recommend using envelope numbers to segregate donors by active, inactive/deceased/archives, visitors/one-time donations.

Here is what I use, and adjust as needed:
  • 100 thru 999 - Active Envelopes (999 is setup as Loose Cash Offerings)
  • 1000-1999 - Visitors & one time donations (some of these could become members, or moved to the archives after a year of no contributions), also inactive members who have not given in a year, but have not yet been removed by your governing board. This allows you to reuse the active envelope number.
  • 2000-2999 - Archives - data that must be kept for at least 4-7 years for IRS purposes.
The active donor range of 100-999 needs no explanation of use.

If a visitor leaves a check or a pew envelope with cash and lists name and address, or a memorial/one-time giving, they're assigned a number in the 1000-1999 range. After the statement is issued, you can move them to the Archive range if there's no further activity for a few months after the statement was issued in January.

The archives are where you would store the data you must maintain for at least 4 years. This includes deceased members if they have no other survivors using the envelope; again moving them here after their estate gets the contribution statement at the end of the year. Also included are transferred members data, the visitor/on-time givers, etc.

Again, this requires that part of the January 'envelope maintenance' (for lack of a better term) would be deleting those envelopes in the archives that have been there for 4 years or longer.

One caveat ... the envelope number 99999 is reserved by the system, I don't think the system will even allow you to save it as an issued envelope number.

Does this help?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.