Accounting Entries Missing

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

gccc

Accounting Entries Missing

Post by gccc »

Every Monday I do two steps to enter our tithes & offerings.
1. Enter our online giving into Contributions, post them, and print a Posted Contributions Report.
2. Enter the checks/cash given on Sunday for offering. I usually enter these tithes/gifts in Contributions and then take the deposit to the bank before posting to Fund Accounting to be sure no errors are detected. I then post to Fund Accounting when I return.

I followed my same routine this week, except I had to wait to deposit until Tuesday because of President's Day. When I went to post the checks/cash this morning to Fund Accounting, none of my Monday entries were there. I then checked for the online giving entries that were posted Monday and they are missing too. I actually have the printed Posted Contributions Report for those entries. That led me to check on entries I had made in Accounts Payable on Monday. They are all missing as well. It appears to be just the entries I made on Monday. Everything entered and posted before that date seems to be present. Not sure what to attribute this too. I have a paper trail to reenter everything, but am worried about how this happened and if it might happen again. What should I do?

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Accounting Entries Missing

Post by Zorak »

My guess would be that a backup was restored at some point. Take a look in Utilities > View System Audit Log. That will show a list of important events like that with the user and the date and time. Clicking on a Backup Restored entry will show when the backup was originally created and what type of backup it was.

gccc

Post by gccc »

I don't see anything like that having happened. The last entry was from April 2021 when we upgraded to V12.2.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

In the event of data corruption or something in PowerChurch that would cause a loss of data, it wouldn't be clean-cut like that. There would normally be error messages and not allow you to open those Maintain forms or run reports.

Is there another installation of PowerChurch on a different computer, or another version installed on this computer where the entries may have been made?

gccc

Post by gccc »

I do have an old version of PowerChurch on my computer that contains 2016 info and older as we updated our COA in 2017, but it is really difficult to open. Not a case that I could accidentally post to it.

It appears that it is only transactions that were made on Monday in the accounting side of PCP. All the attendance stuff my coworker entered was not affected.

I did install the V12 maintenance release on Monday morning, but it was before I had entered any of the accounting transactions. I ran a backup that morning before doing the MR installation, but definitely did not do a backup restore from it later. It's quite a conundrum.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

gccc wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:48 pm
I don't see anything like that having happened. The last entry was from April 2021 when we upgraded to V12.2.
This sounds like the wrong accounting files backup was restored.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.