Canadian Tax Receipts 2021

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

UnitedC

Canadian Tax Receipts 2021

Post by UnitedC »

This is the first time using PowerChurch for tax receipts after many years using different software. I will admit to not finding this software very user friendly. When printing receipts, the printer was mistakenly set for double sided printing, which was obviously not suitable but I could not find a way to re-print the same receipts. The only option I could find was to print the tax receipts again but with new numbers. Are tax receipts able to be edited if errors are found? Also, is there anywhere I can find a full report to print that gives me each person who had a receipt issued and for how much? We are supposed to report the total amount of the receipts that were issued as a requirement.
Many thanks.

NeilZ

Re: Canadian Tax Receipts 2021

Post by NeilZ »

UnitedC wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:26 am
This is the first time using PowerChurch for tax receipts after many years using different software. I will admit to not finding this software very user friendly. When printing receipts, the printer was mistakenly set for double sided printing, which was obviously not suitable but I could not find a way to re-print the same receipts. The only option I could find was to print the tax receipts again but with new numbers. Are tax receipts able to be edited if errors are found? Also, is there anywhere I can find a full report to print that gives me each person who had a receipt issued and for how much? We are supposed to report the total amount of the receipts that were issued as a requirement.
Many thanks.
I believe (based on queries from Canadian users) that Powerchurch creates Canadian tax receipts in accordance with Canadian requirements, which is anytime a tax receipt is printed it requires a new number. They cannot be edited for that reason.

As far as the totals, do you have to issue receipts to every giver, and do you have to report that information per individual, or just aggregate total for the year?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

UnitedC

Post by UnitedC »

A total for amounts receipted has to be provided in Canada. Problem with this is I use a Cash account to record anonymous donations so this in turn gets receipted and included in the total.

I am unable to find any report giving receipt numbers that have been issued to individuals. The Contributions Summary by Fund report is the closest I have found but reports envelope numbers as opposed to receipt numbers so there is no way to check/look at receipts that have already been issued throughout the year (requested by some people) as opposed to the year end receipts. For next year, will it give me the option to set the starting receipt number or just continue from this year? I used to prefix receipts numbers with the year in which it applied similar to 2021/001 etc. and build from that.

Thanks.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

UnitedC wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:43 am
A total for amounts receipted has to be provided in Canada. Problem with this is I use a Cash account to record anonymous donations so this in turn gets receipted and included in the total.

I am unable to find any report giving receipt numbers that have been issued to individuals. The Contributions Summary by Fund report is the closest I have found but reports envelope numbers as opposed to receipt numbers so there is no way to check/look at receipts that have already been issued throughout the year (requested by some people) as opposed to the year end receipts. For next year, will it give me the option to set the starting receipt number or just continue from this year? I used to prefix receipts numbers with the year in which it applied similar to 2021/001 etc. and build from that.

Thanks.
On most (if not all) Contribution reports you have the ability to keep envelope numbers from the totals. If you have your loose cash offering envelope set to 999 (or 9999) you can set the reports to filter out that number by range. If you have envelopes from 1 to 700, then you would set the report to only use 1 through 700.

What version of Powerchurch are you using? I know that versions 12 and 14 have a function under Contributions -> Setup -> View Tax Receipt History that will allow you to view the historical data, and print that out.

As far as changing the number ... Powerchurch follows the CRA requirement that any numbering of receipts is consecutive from one year to the next:

From the PCPlus manual:
Starting Receipt Number. If tax receipts have not been issued previously, this field is editable and has the number 1 assigned by default. CRA requirements state that the receipt numbers are unique and consecutive, so once receipts have been issued, this number cannot be modified
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

UnitedC

Post by UnitedC »

Thank you Neil.

Interesting. So it would seem that I need to re-arrange certain envelope numbers again to make this work correctly. We are using version 12 and I have just checked on the option for Tax Receipt History so can print from there. Not ideal but it will work.