Member Contributes Her Purchase

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

dadcowell

Member Contributes Her Purchase

Post by dadcowell »

A member made a purchase of food/supplies for a church function.
She handed me the receipt and asked that rather than reimbursing her for the purchase, could I just record it as general "giving" in her account. So her year-end statement would be increased by that amount.
Is this an acceptable practice, or does church need to swap checks with her?
Bill

CranfordUMC

Re: Member Contributes Her Purchase

Post by CranfordUMC »

We do one of two options depending on what they want.
1. Write them a letter thanking them for the donation. This woud not show up on their giving statement.
2. Write them a check as reimbursement for the expense, then have them endorse the check to the church and give it back. this way it will show up on their giving statement.
I believe only cash can show up on the giving statement. But I may be wrong.
Steve Heller
Treasurer
Cranford United Methodist Church

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

FWIW ... I would go the 'thank you/gift acknowledgement' route. This satisfies the IRS, but also separates it from normal tithes since the IRS separates such giving on the 1040 form.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

dadcowell

Post by dadcowell »

Thank you both for your responses. I take it that I cannot just increase her year end giving statement since the cash did not come directly to church.
And that I either need to reimburse her and wait for her donation or send her an acknowledgment letter.
Bill

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

dadcowell wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:26 am
Thank you both for your responses. I take it that I cannot just increase her year end giving statement since the cash did not come directly to church.
And that I either need to reimburse her and wait for her donation or send her an acknowledgment letter.
Bill
Yep ... and the letter is a much easier way to do it as you don't have to issue the check, then deposit it later.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.