Change church address

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

RonW

Change church address

Post by RonW »

We have moved and I can't update the address. When I try, it says I have to be logged in as a system administrator. I have rights to all areas. I setup the program over a year ago and have forgotten the system administrator password. How can I recover from this blunder and get our address updated so our mailouts will be correct?

Zeb
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zeb »

The only way to reset the system admin password is by sending us a fax with specific information. You will need to send a fax on church letter head stating why you need it (briefly) and who needs it (who will get the override) and the signatures of 3 people, one of the person getting the override and 2 other (preferably church officials) signatures. send that in with your registration number and we will contact you during our normal office hours.

RonW

Change of address problem

Post by RonW »

Zeb, I can get the letter on letterhead signed OK, but I work during the day at a different place from the church. No one else at the church knows the program. I work on the program at home in the evenings & weekends. Can you contact me on a Sat or at night?

Also I am wondering why would changing the address have to be a system administrator function? Certainly the pastor or someone designated by the pastor should be able to change an address & phone number.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

FWIW ... in the commercial world any major change to a database setup is a system admin function. This includes changing defaults, adding users, etc.

The creators of PC+ are just doing what is normal. Only one person should be the system admin, as that person has the keys to the kingdom, so to speak. That person can view anything and everything in the system, and grant access to everything.

Granted in your case it appears that you're the only user of the system, however, in most churches, there are 2 or more users, and they only need access to specific areas. For instance, our counters need to be able to review and add names and addresses, but they do not need to read the notes on attendence, or the ministry notes.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zaphod
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Zaphod »

Thanks, Neil, you've hit the nail on the head.

The reason we make you jump through so many hoops is to make absolutely certain that only the people accessing PowerChurch data are the ones you specify. We can override the system administrator password for you, but we're not going to do it for just anybody who calls up and asks. Ergo, we ask that you fax explicit instructions/permission for us to do so.

Unfortunately, we are only here 9-6 M-F (Eastern). If there is someone at the church who can be authorized to go through this process, we can do it over the phone in about 2 minutes. The pastor would be an ideal choice for this. However, when the password is overridden, all passwords are disabled until you re-enable them and assign a new system administrator password. All user passwords can stay the same when you turn the passwords back on.

Thanks!
PowerChurch Software Technical Support
(800) 486-1800
http://www.powerchurch.com/