Multiple Contribution Dates

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

tena20719

Multiple Contribution Dates

Post by tena20719 »

We use a church app that deposits contributions made on different days into one deposit. This generally is not a problem except at year end.

I have some deposits that have 2022 and 2023 contributions together in one deposit. Can I enter the contributions in the contributions module using the different dates and then post them to fund accounting with the day the deposit was made to the bank? I want to make sure that each contribution shows up in the correct year in the contribution statements. If I do this, would it create any problems? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!
Tena

NeilZ

Re: Multiple Contribution Dates

Post by NeilZ »

tena20719 wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:44 pm
We use a church app that deposits contributions made on different days into one deposit. This generally is not a problem except at year end.

I have some deposits that have 2022 and 2023 contributions together in one deposit. Can I enter the contributions in the contributions module using the different dates and then post them to fund accounting with the day the deposit was made to the bank? I want to make sure that each contribution shows up in the correct year in the contribution statements. If I do this, would it create any problems? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!
Tena
Since you're talking about 2023 contributions dates, I'm assuming that the deposit was made to the bank in 2023. Technically, that would mean that anyone who paid through the app would not be able to claim those as deductions on their 2022 taxes.

That said, because the company running the app doesn't see that as causing problems, it shouldn't become yours. I'd go ahead and enter the contributions based on the day they were entered into the app. That show's the intent of the donor, so the 2022 donations should be listed for 2022, even though the amount was not deposited until 2023.

Disclaimer: I am not an accountant, I would verify that suggestion with an accountant to be sure. If you have one in your congregation, I don't think they'd have a problem giving an 'off the books' opinion.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

tena20719

Re: Multiple Contribution Dates

Post by tena20719 »

Hi Neil,

Yes, I have contributions from 2022 and 2023 that show up in one deposit in 2023. I know that the ones made in 2023 can't count for 2022.

I just split them and made 2 entries, one for 2022 and one for 2023.

Thanks so much!
Tena