Sharing contribution data between two computers

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

StPaulUCC2

Sharing contribution data between two computers

Post by StPaulUCC2 »

We have PowerChurch on our laptop and on the office desktop computer. We are entering the weekly contributions on the laptop on Sunday mornings. How do I transfer these contributions to the desktop computer?

NeilZ

Re: Sharing contribution data between two computers

Post by NeilZ »

StPaulUCC2 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:58 pm
We have PowerChurch on our laptop and on the office desktop computer. We are entering the weekly contributions on the laptop on Sunday mornings. How do I transfer these contributions to the desktop computer?
Do you have a wifi network?? Why aren't you using that to network the main desktop as the server and have the laptop as the client so there would be no need to do such a thing?

If you don't, it would save you a lot of time and energy to get a cheap WiFi router and install that just for this purpose.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

StPaulUCC2

Post by StPaulUCC2 »

Yes, we have wifi. Just didn't think about using it for PowerChurch...LOL. I'll have to figure out how to do this. I may be back with more questions. Thanks for your help.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

StPaulUCC2 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:58 pm
Yes, we have wifi. Just didn't think about using it for PowerChurch...LOL. I'll have to figure out how to do this. I may be back with more questions. Thanks for your help.
Its actually very simple, this also insures that the main database has any updates or added addresses for new contributors. First off, you will need to make sure that any contributions you entered on the laptop have been moved to the main computer. As it appears you were doing it standalone, I suspect that you're going to have to do some prep before hand.

I can give you some suggestions, but need some answers first:

1. How long have you been using the laptop to enter contributions, and how much do you want to move?
2. Does the office desktop have the envelope numbers entered for all your contributors?
3. Do you use Powerchurch for accounting, and how have you passed on the information on what was being deposited from Contributions?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

StPaulUCC2

Post by StPaulUCC2 »

1. I've been using the laptop for a year for contributions and accounting. Everything is working and we are using it to run all the reports we need.
2. For the past year the office manager has continued to use PowerChurch 11.5 on the office desktop. There may be some disagreements in envelope numbers but only a few. We should take care of that. The yearly contribution statements were printed from his desktop. He doesn't enter all accounting data on his desktop. He's only entering the checks he prints and not the ones that are paid through our bank website. It's a long story...lol.
3. Earlier this month I did a backup from the laptop and he restored it on his desktop. So he has all my data from last year and has started using version 14. We are working with him to start entering the accounting data correctly on his desktop. Until he is completely comfortable with it we are still entering all the accounting data on the laptop. I would say that the laptop is now the main computer for PowerChurch.

I thought since we use the laptop on Sundays to enter contributions that we would just be able to backup the contributions and restore them on his laptop. We tried it a couple of weeks ago but got an error (which I can't remember now and could be because the envelope numbers are not correct). If it's better to set up a network that's not a problem.
Maybe we just need to uninstall everything from the desktop computer and re-install version 14 and setup the network?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

StPaulUCC2 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:22 am
1. I've been using the laptop for a year for contributions and accounting. Everything is working and we are using it to run all the reports we need.
2. For the past year the office manager has continued to use PowerChurch 11.5 on the office desktop. There may be some disagreements in envelope numbers but only a few. We should take care of that. The yearly contribution statements were printed from his desktop. He doesn't enter all accounting data on his desktop. He's only entering the checks he prints and not the ones that are paid through our bank website. It's a long story...lol.
3. Earlier this month I did a backup from the laptop and he restored it on his desktop. So he has all my data from last year and has started using version 14. We are working with him to start entering the accounting data correctly on his desktop. Until he is completely comfortable with it we are still entering all the accounting data on the laptop. I would say that the laptop is now the main computer for PowerChurch.

I thought since we use the laptop on Sundays to enter contributions that we would just be able to backup the contributions and restore them on his laptop. We tried it a couple of weeks ago but got an error (which I can't remember now and could be because the envelope numbers are not correct). If it's better to set up a network that's not a problem.
Maybe we just need to uninstall everything from the desktop computer and re-install version 14 and setup the network?
If the data on the Laptop is the most correct, that is all the membership, the accounting, and the contributions, then I would do a complete backup from the laptop.

Then restore that backup on the desktop running v14. Setup the network as indicated in the User Guide, or follow the directions listed here: https://www.powerchurch.com/support/477 ... hurch-plus The directions for Windows 10 will also work for Win 11.

Once that is done (sharing the folder on the network), head to the laptop, bring up the networked folder on the Desktop, and follow the instructions there for Workstation Setup.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.