Contributors added show up in Membership records

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Linda Paxton

Post by Linda Paxton »

We have 2 users - 1 enters contributions (Financial Secy) and one membership (Membership Secy). Is there a way to add contributors so they won't show up in the membership records? This really disturbs me when entries get changed in the membership records that I don't want changed.

NeilZ

Re: Contributors added show up in Membership records

Post by NeilZ »

Linda Paxton wrote:We have 2 users - 1 enters contributions (Financial Secy) and one membership (Membership Secy). Is there a way to add contributors so they won't show up in the membership records? This really disturbs me when entries get changed in the membership records that I don't want changed.
As an integrated database system, the contributions module is totally integrated with the membership module as all the mailing profile and personal profile information is stored in that module.

In order for the contributions to be properly accredited to the person who gave it, especially now since the IRS has ruled that cash donaitons must have a receipt from the entity it was donated to in order to claim a deduction, the Financial Secretary must be able to create new membership entries to cover these donations.

I suggest that the Financial Secretary and Membership Secretary sit down over some coffee and talk about the entries that should not be updated by someone else.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Linda Paxton

Contributions question posted prior.

Post by Linda Paxton »

In rebuttal to your solution, it is my understanding through reading the user manual that contributors can be added through the Contributions module and it isn't necessary to go into the Membership module. Is that correct or is the user manual wrong or can't I read and interpret it correctly.

NeilZ

Re: Contributions question posted prior.

Post by NeilZ »

Linda Paxton wrote:In rebuttal to your solution, it is my understanding through reading the user manual that contributors can be added through the Contributions module and it isn't necessary to go into the Membership module. Is that correct or is the user manual wrong or can't I read and interpret it correctly.
Linda, your post was not a rebuttal, just a misunderstanding of how the program operates.

The contributions module has a routine that accesses the membership module's databases to create a mailing list and personal profile for the new contributor. The routine asks for the usual name, address, phone, etc, along with the Mailing List Category, the Personal Profile Status, and the envelope number assigned.

Someone who only enters contributions data need only have the Data Entry Only setting set under the Contributions permissions. They do not need any additional access to the Membership Module. However, if the Financial Secretary also needs to be able to update mailing addresses, or correct duplicate entries and merge envelopes, they will need to have update access to the Membership Module.

Thus the need to discuss what should and should not be changed.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

tbalding

Post by tbalding »

We had a similar problem. The Finance group who enters contributions do not have access to the membership area but I found that they were entering new members through contributions and then Membership was entering the same people unknowingly through attendance. We had many duplicates, plus Finance was entering a husband and wife as one person instead of two. I spoke to Finance and now when they have a new entry they let Membership take care of it so that all areas are covered that are required then Finance enters the contribution. All that was needed was communication between the groups.

Hope this helps.
Trish

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

tbalding wrote:We had a similar problem. The Finance group who enters contributions do not have access to the membership area but I found that they were entering new members through contributions and then Membership was entering the same people unknowingly through attendance. We had many duplicates, plus Finance was entering a husband and wife as one person instead of two. I spoke to Finance and now when they have a new entry they let Membership take care of it so that all areas are covered that are required then Finance enters the contribution. All that was needed was communication between the groups.

Hope this helps.
Trish
The problem with that scenario is that the counters, or whomever enters contributions, then cannot record the contribution at that time, and the system cannot then provide a total and 'bank tape' to use for deposit.

What we did at our last church was teach everyone to check to see if someone has been previously entered. Its very easy, and makes sure that there are no duplicates.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

tbalding

Post by tbalding »

I have never used the contributions section, only the membership/attendance section. How do you have your counters checking to see if someone has been entered? Maybe it is something I can show our counters. They use a printed envelope number report to find people. If the person is not on the list they assume that the person is not in the database which is what led to the duplicate entries. Their list was not always up to date.

Thanks,
Trish

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

tbalding wrote:I have never used the contributions section, only the membership/attendance section. How do you have your counters checking to see if someone has been entered? Maybe it is something I can show our counters. They use a printed envelope number report to find people. If the person is not on the list they assume that the person is not in the database which is what led to the duplicate entries. Their list was not always up to date.

Thanks,
Trish
Trish,

we have our counters entering the data directly into Powerchurch, when you find a check from someone who does not have an envelope, you can then enter the person via the Contributions module system.

When the first screen dialog pops up, it will ask you for a Last Name, and First Name. What I had the counters do was only enter the Last Name, then click the NEXT button. The system will then say whether or not there are people in the database with that last name by popping up a dialog that says (using the Last Name of Jones):

Warning: Jones already exists in the database. Add a new record or edit this existing record?

I tell them to click on the EDIT button, this then brings up a list of people with the last name of Jones, along with their street address. They can then check the name on the check with the list of names in the database. If the first name does not match what is there, I tell them to also check the streeet address as the check may be coming from someone else living at that address. It could be one of the kids, or that the husband or wife is not listed on the envelope number with the spouse.

This little check has all be eliminated duplicate records entered by the counters.

Hope this helps.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

tbalding

Post by tbalding »

Yes, this will help! I have never used the contributions section, so it's hard for me to help them out. I will definately have them try this out.

Thanks!
Trish

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

tbalding wrote:Yes, this will help! I have never used the contributions section, so it's hard for me to help them out. I will definately have them try this out.

Thanks!
Trish
You're welcome !
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.