Contribution from DBA

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

ahoschak

Contribution from DBA

Post by ahoschak »

We have a member who wants to start recording her contributions under a DBA instead of her name. This past Sunday was the first time she asked to do this. She went to her bank, got a cashier's check, then hand wrote her DBA name at the bottom of the check. I have tried finding info about this thru the IRS website, Church & Tax Law, and a general internet search. Is this something other churches are doing? Am I allowed to do this?

NeilZ

Re: Contribution from DBA

Post by NeilZ »

ahoschak wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:48 pm
We have a member who wants to start recording her contributions under a DBA instead of her name. This past Sunday was the first time she asked to do this. She went to her bank, got a cashier's check, then hand wrote her DBA name at the bottom of the check. I have tried finding info about this thru the IRS website, Church & Tax Law, and a general internet search. Is this something other churches are doing? Am I allowed to do this?
Individuals can contribute to charities such as churches from their businesses. This is done all the time, evidently she wants to have the business get the charitable credit. That said, normally a business has printed business checks, however, its not up to the church to determine whether or not this is legal.

What I would do is create a new Mailing List Record for the Business, with an Personal Profile for that business and a separate envelope number, but using the same address as the member. She'll get two statements at the end of the year, one for all the contributions she's given as herself, and one for the business. I would not have all contributions she's given prior be listed under the business, as that would be irregular.

Does this help?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

ahoschak

Re: Contribution from DBA

Post by ahoschak »

Yes, that helps!! Thank you so much.