Year end Contribution Statement question

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

bumc24

Year end Contribution Statement question

Post by bumc24 »

This is my first year printing year end contribution statements for our members. I have noticed that deceased spouses are still showing up in the addressee area even though the spouse has been marked as deceased under membership. This seems really tacky and hurtful to send, especially for a spouse who has been deceased for multiple years.

We have assigned the same envelope number to spouses. If I delete the envelope number for the deceased spouse, will that fix the issue without messing up the giving records for the living spouse?

NeilZ

Re: Year end Contribution Statement question

Post by NeilZ »

bumc24 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:29 pm
This is my first year printing year end contribution statements for our members. I have noticed that deceased spouses are still showing up in the addressee area even though the spouse has been marked as deceased under membership. This seems really tacky and hurtful to send, especially for a spouse who has been deceased for multiple years.

We have assigned the same envelope number to spouses. If I delete the envelope number for the deceased spouse, will that fix the issue without messing up the giving records for the living spouse?
FWIW ... having a deceased spouse on the statement is actually necessary for the tax year in which the spouse died, as its usually needed for filing taxes where the surviving spouse is claiming a deduction for charity and the deceased spouse was the primary income to the household.

However, after that year, and the statements have been printed, whoever maintains the membership or contributions envelopes need to blank out the envelope number on the deceased spouse. That is causing the issue, the fact that the envelope number is still listed on the deceased personal profile.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.