New Building Memorials

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Kristi

New Building Memorials

Post by Kristi »

We are beginning the process of building a new sanctuary.

We will be letting people "buy" items" (ie. pews, stained glass) in memory" of loved ones. The pastor is already advertising this. I want to keep it limited to a few items.

How do I present this so people are not "buying" a million inexpensive "things" like door knobs in memory of all their friends and relatives? I know I will get some contributions making specific requests.

Or should we present it as $100 more contribution gets your name on a plaque under the stained glass or plaque on the pew: the money is not designated to these things, just to the building fund?

All advice is appreciated~Kristi
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding." Proverbs 3:5

NeilZ

Re: New Building Memorials

Post by NeilZ »

Kristi wrote:We are beginning the process of building a new sanctuary.

We will be letting people "buy" items" (ie. pews, stained glass) in memory" of loved ones. The pastor is already advertising this. I want to keep it limited to a few items.

How do I present this so people are not "buying" a million inexpensive "things" like door knobs in memory of all their friends and relatives? I know I will get some contributions making specific requests.

Or should we present it as $100 more contribution gets your name on a plaque under the stained glass or plaque on the pew: the money is not designated to these things, just to the building fund?

All advice is appreciated~Kristi
You want the building committee (if there is one) to list what items can be used as memorials. These items are then published in a booklet, that can be updated monthly, or in the church monthly newsletter, or website; anywhere that can keep people informed on what has been taken and what has not.

In this manner, you control what is being donated. However, if people want to donate over and above what they have pledged, you may want to broach the thought of a founders plaque to be put at the entrance of the sanctuary. It would list those who contributed an X amount over and above their pledges.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Kristi

Post by Kristi »

Thank you for the suggestion.
My pastor liked the idea & we will present it to our Financial Committee.
Kristi
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding." Proverbs 3:5