more strange happenings

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

DestinLeB

more strange happenings

Post by DestinLeB »

We entered contributions, some going to our general fund and another to special offerings. Contributions have been posted. Fund accounting has been posted. When we go into reports for contributions, all contributions are there. However, when I went to maintain the check register, only the amount for the special fund was present; the amounts for the generral fund were not there.

This happened to me last year in accounts payable, where a check appeared in the accounts payable sytem, but did not show up when I tried to maintain the check register.

Any ideas how to prevent this, or ideas how to correct it?

Zaphod
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Zaphod »

Double check your Contribution fund setup (Contributions->Maintain List of Contribution Funds). Make sure the Contribution fund that isn't showing up in Fund Accounting has vaild debit and credit accounts set up there.

The same thing would be true in Accounts Payable if your vendor has no default debit and credit accounts, or those lines of description weren't fully completed at the time the invoice/manual check was entered.
PowerChurch Software Technical Support
(800) 486-1800
http://www.powerchurch.com/

DestinLeB

but it worked the week before and the week after

Post by DestinLeB »

Contributions made to the same fund (our general fund) made the week before and the week after all posted correctly and showed up in the check register. Any other thoughts?

Kristi

Post by Kristi »

Hi,
I've never run the check register to check on my deposits. That's good to know.

Try another report, just to see if the information shows up. I go to Selected Transactions, type in the date, Ref.: Contrib.

I'd suggest double checking your dates. I had an error happen because the end of the month date was a Sunday, but I posted the next Tues...or I forgot and ran my report for the current month, when some of my information was on the previous month. Once I went back to the last day of the previous month I retrieved my information.

Another time I typed wrong and my date came out like 02/05/0204.

I hope you find it. I've learned PowerChurch is a lot smarter than I am...IT knows where the information is...right where I put it.
God bless you~Kristi
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding." Proverbs 3:5

DestinLeB

Post by DestinLeB »

Thanks, Kristi:

I have run selected transactions under Contributions Reports, and the money shows up.However, all contributions have been posted, and the contributions do NOT show up on my account activity (in the accounting module) for the month (nor on my check register). However, a small amount given on the same date does show up in the account activity report and on the check register. I'm going to cal :? l PowerChurch tomorrow and pay for some help. I will try to post the solution on this forum if it seems it may help others.

Destin

DestinLeB

this is probabaly what happened

Post by DestinLeB »

I talked to PowerChruch technical support on the phone. After going through several things, they concluded it was sonme kind of operator intervention. I did some folloing around, and was able to reproduce the problem. What I did was enter a contribution, then post the contribution to Fund Accounting. The in Fund Accounting I reciewed the contribution under "modify umposted transactions", and at that time selcted "delete" for this transaction. The net result was that I could still see the transaction in the Contributions module, but could not see it in the Fund Accounting module. I beleive this resolves the mystery for me. I am going to point this out to all using the system in our church to help make sure it doesn't happen again.

Note also that the same thing can happen in Accounts Payable for a check. If you write a check, post it to Fund Accounting, and then delete it in Fund Accounting, it will still be there in the Accounts Payable module, but not in the Fund Accounting module.

Destin

Zaphod
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Zaphod »

That's exactly right. Fund Accounting acts as the hub for all your accounting functions (if everything is set up to be interrelated). Contributions, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and Payroll all can create transactions in Fund Account that you then have the option of posting in Fund Accounting. If someone deletes an unposted Fund Accounting transaction, it doesn't "go backwards" to delete information in the originating module. There are plenty of reasons why you might want to do this, but you will usually always want to go ahead and post those transactions in Fund Accounting.
PowerChurch Software Technical Support
(800) 486-1800
http://www.powerchurch.com/