Check Reader w/Auto Endorse Function

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

jeffkoke

Check Reader w/Auto Endorse Function

Post by jeffkoke »

All,

Does anyone know if there is a check reader that can also auto endorse a check?

AdvanceThanks,
Jeff
Jeff
--
Jeff Koke, KK4SN
Great Bridge Church of God
Chesapeake VA
"Every Father should remember that one day his
children will follow his example instead of his advice."

NeilZ

Re: Check Reader w/Auto Endorse Function

Post by NeilZ »

jeffkoke wrote:All,

Does anyone know if there is a check reader that can also auto endorse a check?

AdvanceThanks,
Jeff
I've not seen any during my searches on the web, however, I suspect that it would be expensive as it would have to include a printing module, memory to store the endorsement, as well as to create the print image.

It does sound like it would slow down the process. Based on the speed of the endorsement printers on most POS terminals, I can hand stamp the endorsement faster than one could print.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

jeffkoke

Post by jeffkoke »

Neil,

Interesting point.

My thoughts were that if I was already running the check through a reader, waiting a couple more seconds for it to endorse the check would be faster than having to handle the check another time in order to manually endorse it.

Right now, the check is handled three times. Once when removed from the envelope (visually verified) then run through the reader. The second time for endorsing. And the third time to verify the total count of the checks.

I suppose we could endorse the check immediately after it is run through the reader...

I agree that a combo reader/endorser might be cost prohibitive, but I'm sure the technology is there.

Jeff
Jeff
--
Jeff Koke, KK4SN
Chesapeake VA

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

jeffkoke wrote:Neil,

Interesting point.

My thoughts were that if I was already running the check through a reader, waiting a couple more seconds for it to endorse the check would be faster than having to handle the check another time in order to manually endorse it.

Right now, the check is handled three times. Once when removed from the envelope (visually verified) then run through the reader. The second time for endorsing. And the third time to verify the total count of the checks.

I suppose we could endorse the check immediately after it is run through the reader...

I agree that a combo reader/endorser might be cost prohibitive, but I'm sure the technology is there.

Jeff
Jeff ...

we've found that the extra time it takes to hand the check to the person running PC+ and the check reader was not time well spent. We already have the envelope number, so after all the 'loose checks' have been run through the reader, the person opening envelopes just reads the envelope number, the fund and the amount to the person operating PC+.

Much faster, especially if you have someone who is comfortable with the keypad.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

gwbowers

Tagalong question: Envelop-less contributions

Post by gwbowers »

Neil et al:

We are seriously looking at using check reader to link to envelop numbers. And are looking at ordering 80% fewer envelop kits .. still keeping some for kids, new members, and any existing members who really prefer them....

Has anyone already examined and/or TRIED this option? What are your thoughts?

thanks
--Gary

jeffkoke

Post by jeffkoke »

Gary,

We're using pre-printed envelopes with envelope numbers now. It works really well for us. Its called a boxed envelope set.

Basically, I review all of the members/attenders and assign them an envelope number. Each year I review the list for adds/mods.

If you want a printing company reference I have a good one, please contact me off-list.

Jeff
Jeff
--
Jeff Koke, KK4SN
Chesapeake VA

NeilZ

Re: Tagalong question: Envelop-less contributions

Post by NeilZ »

gwbowers wrote:Neil et al:

We are seriously looking at using check reader to link to envelop numbers. And are looking at ordering 80% fewer envelop kits .. still keeping some for kids, new members, and any existing members who really prefer them....

Has anyone already examined and/or TRIED this option? What are your thoughts?

thanks
--Gary
We are still ordering envelopes because 'it's the Presbyterian thing to do', but also because many people still use cash and giving people a choice whether to write a check, or put in cash is a good idea.

We make sure that all members get a box (as long as they are listed on the active rolls) and as new members are added, we issue them a box also. We get ours from the Presbyterian publlishing house, Hubbard Press. The price from Hubbard Press is really low, especially if you order early in the year.

Still, many people do just place checks directly in the plate, and we use the check reader to match them to the envelopes in the system.

However, as I mentioned above, having someone read the envelope and the amount can be as fast as running checks through the reader.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

jeffkoke

Post by jeffkoke »

Gary,

What are your requirements with respect to keeping paper (envelope) transactions for all contributions?

If only the check is received and subsquently deposited, there is no paper trail on the transaction.

We keep an envelope for every contributor for the entire year...and keep each year's set for three years. If a check does not have an envelope, the finance committee writes one up using a red pen.

I'm not up on the IRS requirements, so perhaps someone on the list can enlighten me.

Jeff
jeffkoke wrote:Gary,

We're using pre-printed envelopes with envelope numbers now. It works really well for us. Its called a boxed envelope set.

Basically, I review all of the members/attenders and assign them an envelope number. Each year I review the list for adds/mods.

If you want a printing company reference I have a good one, please contact me off-list.

Jeff
Jeff
--
Jeff Koke, KK4SN
Chesapeake VA

SBCTrustee

Our envelope rules

Post by SBCTrustee »

Hello everyone,

Even before we automated (1999), it had been our policy to make an envelope for all identifable donations. At the end of the year the Treasurer & the Pastor signs the contribution statements.

As a retired state auditor, I believe that this is enough documentation for tax purposes. It would be best if the person (counter) who made the envelope would initial it. To be valid, the purpose of the donation, the date & amount must be on the envelope.

If the giver has placed his envelope number on the check then his address does not have to be on the envelope since the number links to a certain member. Otherwise, the name and address must be on the envelope.

We encourage all members to use their pre-numbered envelopes. In fact, we ask all worshippers to put their offering in an envelope, even a generic one. (This helps internal controls). We ask members & guests to place their money in an envelope even if they don't want IRS credit for it. We suggest that they just omit their name if they don't want IRS credit. We have developed a "public profile" in PC+ to assign what we call loose offering.

I personally believe that the LORD's money must be handled with great skill & care.

Tom
2nd Baptist Church of Ypsilanti