Cursor Weirdness During Check Entry

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

jeffkoke

Cursor Weirdness During Check Entry

Post by jeffkoke »

Yesterday was the first time I ran the check entry since we upgraded to v9. I realized early on that I suddenly am now required to press the ENTER key more often when moving between/adding more than one fund for a particular giver. I'll try to explain:
1. I run the check through the reader
2. PC+ accepts the data input and displays the contributor's name
3. I enter the check amount and press ENTER
4. I enter the first fund number and press ENTER. The cursor jumps to the dollar entry field
5. I enter the dollar amount and press ENTER. The cursor jumps back to the fund number column on the same (first) line (not the next line) as it used to in v8.5
6. I press ENTER three times in order to get to the next line.

(The ENTER key I'm using is the one on the numeric keypad.)

Try to duplicate and let me know if it can be fixed in a future maintenance release. I did apply the 9/24 maintenance release, but not until after I did the contributions entry for the day.

AdvanceThanks,
Jeff
Jeff
--
Jeff Koke, KK4SN
Great Bridge Church of God
Chesapeake VA
"Every Father should remember that one day his
children will follow his example instead of his advice."

Tracy
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Tracy »

Yes, I see the problem with the first entry.

I'll remove the extra keystroke requirement soon.
Tracy

jeffkoke

Post by jeffkoke »

Thank you, thankyouverymuch! :D
Very Happy
Jeff
--
Jeff Koke, KK4SN
Chesapeake VA

jeffkoke

Post by jeffkoke »

Tracy,

Perhaps this should be a separate thread/discussion, but I'll start here.

When in the contributions entry mode, is there a way to prevent the contribution fund field from accepting a zero (0) entry?

My contribution funds start at one and go to over 800 (not consecutively). There have been times when I've selected the F2 key to see the contribution fund list, but somehow I get a zero at the beginning. If I escape out of that form, the zero gets entered into the contributor's fund column and the cursor moves to the dollar column.

Let me know if you can dupe this and if you think there's a fix. Since none of my funds begin with a zero, I don't know how to prevent this from happening.

AdvanceThanks,
Jeff
Jeff
--
Jeff Koke, KK4SN
Chesapeake VA

Tracy
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Tracy »

Jeff,

The Fund number is stored as a numeric data type, which means you should not have a 0100 number in the data.

I even specifically typed 0100 into the fund entry and upon exiting it becomes 100.

When I typed 0101 which is not a fund in my testing data, I receive the following message:

Contributions Check Entry
---------------------------
Fund: 101 not found

Also, when attempting to save a fund number of 0 (zero) I get the following message:

Contributions Check Entry
---------------------------
One of the entries is missing a fund number.
This is required to save the transaction.
Tracy

jeffkoke

Post by jeffkoke »

Tracy,

Let me try to clarify my previous statement.

When in the contributions entry (using the check reader panel), here's the process I used:
1. I run the check
2. I enter the check amount and press ENTER
3. The cursor is in the Fund column and I press F2
4. The contribution fund list displays with the cursor at the top of the panel/column. (If I remember, it is above the first choice (fund #1) and showing a zero).
5. If I press ESC, the contributions panel closes and the cursor is now back in the contributions fund column and a zero is displayed.

I may not be remembering the exact steps as I've slept since doing this! javascript:emoticon(':o')
Surprised

So, I now have a zero in the contributions fund column and can enter a dollar amount for it. Could this be trapped by the program to ensure that a valid contribution fund is selected?

Remember, I've not tried to save the entry. I'm looking at a zero in the contribution fund column, an empty field for the contribution fund description and the cursor sits in the dollar column ready to let me enter a figure for an invalid contribution fund.

Hopefully I didn't muddy the waters with the explanation.

Jeff
Jeff
--
Jeff Koke, KK4SN
Chesapeake VA

Tracy
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Tracy »

In the Locate screen, you are seeing a 0 fund number with a blank description?

If this is what you are seeing, the problem is related to the Funds. When you look at the funds with "Maintain List of Contribution Funds" is the first one that appears a 0? I'm not sure how you have gotten this into the data. It may be from a long time ago. If you do have the 0 fund, Delete it and you should be able to correct the problem your seeing. Pressing the Escape key or Canceling from the Locate screen should leave you on the Fund entry in the Check Reader screen.

HTH,
Tracy