Contribution Entry Problem using Check Reader

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

jeffkoke

Contribution Entry Problem using Check Reader

Post by jeffkoke »

I just tried using the new check reader. After reading the help file, I selected the "Check Reader" button.

The check reader panel displayed. I ran a check through the reader. I associated the check with the contributor, entered the amount, split the contribution across the two funds indicated. It worked great!

Upon reading the second check, my joy diminished. A panel displayed indicating "continue with same check number?" I selected No and the entire contribution panel closed. After re-selecting "Check Reader" and re-reading the second check, I got the same query, but answered Yes. The previous entry was displayed and changing the contributor, check amount and contribution funds required a confirmation for each step. This was very tedious.

Lastly, the check number was not read into the system. It is part of the MICR, so is there something wrong here?

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff
--
Jeff Koke, KK4SN
Great Bridge Church of God
Chesapeake VA
"Every Father should remember that one day his
children will follow his example instead of his advice."

Zeb
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zeb »

Open Notepad (start--->programs--->Accessories--->notepad) and scan your check. Report back here what format the numbers come out (you don't have to give the actual numbers, just the format)

For better assistance feel free to call our technical support office at (800)486-1800.

jeffkoke

Post by jeffkoke »

Will do and will call tech support this PM.

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff
--
Jeff Koke, KK4SN
Chesapeake VA

jeffkoke

Post by jeffkoke »

For the benefit of those reading this forum, the solution to this problem was to get the brand new MagTek check reader to output the correct format as required by PowerChurch. Prior to purchasing the exact model reader, I contacted PowerChurch's tech support. However, I did not know to ensure that the unit's output format should be set to 3100.

Once the format was changed (via a freely downloadable program), everything worked as advertised. I just wished that tech support would have volunteered the fact that PowerChurch sets the format on every MagTek reader they purchase for resale. That one item was not provided during my extensive conversation regarding this subject.
Jeff
--
Jeff Koke, KK4SN
Chesapeake VA

Zaphod
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Zaphod »

Jeff,

I just looked at the Answer Archive article I'd directed you to on your initial inqury here (in this thread), and it states that the appropriate format is 31. You're right, there is nothing there that states that in some versions of that utility you'd downloaded, the last two digits are optional. I'll make sure to update that article.

Article referenced:
Will my existing check reader work with PowerChurch Plus?

Sorry about the confusion.
PowerChurch Software Technical Support
(800) 486-1800
http://www.powerchurch.com/