Using Powerchurch for more than just Contributions? LikeIt?

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Using which Modules? Contributions? More?

We use Contributions, only -- and will never do anything else.
No votes
We use Contributions, only -- and use other accounting software(like Quickbooks) separately.
13%
We use Contributions, and are trying to use the PowerChurch accounting/fund modules (w/difficulty)
13%
We use Contributions, and are trying to use the PowerChurch accounting/fund modules (and its OK)
13%
We use Contributions, and are trying to use the PowerChurch accounting/fund modules (and its GREAT) Boot out QuickBooks!
63%

Total votes: 8

gwbowers

Using Powerchurch for more than just Contributions? LikeIt?

Post by gwbowers »

We are older users of PowerChurch, and have recently upgraded to Version 9. Historically, we have only used the Contributions module.

Our Treasurers are using QuickBooks for the accounting aspect.

Is there a way to bridge the gap and import QB transactions into the accounting modules?

Is using PowerChurch 9 Fund and regular accounting sufficiently easy to entice users to try again?

How are you other churchs harnessing the power in this package....

--------------
<rant>
I must admit, some staff have a bad (historical) taste in their mouth about PowerChurch. I've tried countering this with our New (technology savvy) minister by underscoring that those of us who USE powerchurch are frustrated by what is can do for us, if we'd only harness it. Those who DON'T use it should probably refrain from expressing sweeping opinions until they have given it an honest look again.
</rant>

(sigh. OK. time for me to go roll the boulder up the mountain again.)

jeffkoke

Re: Using Powerchurch for more than just Contributions? Like

Post by jeffkoke »

gwbowers wrote:Is there a way to bridge the gap and import QB transactions into the accounting modules?

Is using PowerChurch 9 Fund and regular accounting sufficiently easy to entice users to try again?

How are you other churchs harnessing the power in this package....
Gary,
QB to PC import? No, as you'll have to build a chart of accounts and it will not likely mirror QB.

If your users are already familar with double entry accounting, they will easily be able to harness the power of PC.

We are using all of the main modules of PC: fund accounting, contributions, membership, activities/skills, payroll, payables and equipment inventory. All I can recall right now.

Jeff
Jeff
--
Jeff Koke, KK4SN
Great Bridge Church of God
Chesapeake VA
"Every Father should remember that one day his
children will follow his example instead of his advice."

SBCTrustee

Using PC+ fully

Post by SBCTrustee »

Hello everyone.

We are fairly new (aug 04) to PC+ (v.9). We migrated to PC+ from QB pro & Membership+ .

My Board wanted us to use one program instead of two for our needs. There certainly are trade offs. I am a retired auditor so you must understand that no accountant feels confortable with an accounting package that would allow one to delete transactions as if they never existed or would leave a month or even a year to remain open indefinitely. (My treasurer & I were the only ones who access to the system so I felt fairly secure).

By moving to PC+, we are able to close months & relieve the problem.

PC+ does not show bank deposits in gross, so it is a little hard to directly compare our "books" with bank statements.

We pretty much kept the same account descriptions as we had in QB pro. We just had to use account numbers acceptable to PC+.

We had no intentions on importing accounting data into PC+. (I don't know of any accounting software that will allow you to do that).

One thing that has been a "bear" is that my Board likes to compare previous years to our current year, so I have been manually entering the past three years' accounting data month by month (monthly totals) by journal entries. We don't really plan on being truelly "live" with PC+ until 2005.

One thing that I am really going to miss by moving to PC+ is the ability to print weekly or bi-weekly profit & loss statements. My old program would allow it.

All in all, I am happy with PC+.

Tom
2nd Baptist Church of Ypsilanti