Modifying Posted Contributions

Contributions, Faith Promises

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

joshvv

Modifying Posted Contributions

Post by joshvv »

I inadvertently assigned a contribution to the wrong fund and posted the contribution. Is there a way of changing a posted contribution?

tborgal

Re: Modifying Posted Contributions

Post by tborgal »

To fix this, I would first to a backup. This way if you make a mistake you can get back to the beginning point if you need to. Then go to the 'enter contributions' screen and select the same date that the incorrect entry was made. Select the contributor, if it was a check and you used the check number enter that as well. Select the fund number that was incorrectly used and then enter the amount with a minus sign in front of it. Then go ahead and repeat the process using the correct fund number and amount and save the entry. Then post it to the correct month. This should resolve the problem. You can check the persons offering statement to be sure. If you have already posted the contributions to Fund Accounting you do not have to do it again.

Hope this helps.
Tom

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Also, in V11, you can look up the contribution under View Posted Contributions. Look up the contributor, then highlight the incorrect contribution, then click the Reverse button.

You would then enter the correct contribution as Tom said.

The good thing is that you can then post these and update Funds Accounting, which will then correct the Accounting fund entries.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

tborgal

Post by tborgal »

Well now I just learned something. I just had to do this last week and did it as I posted. The difference was that mine were in the correct fund they just had a designation assigned that they should not have. The question is, how long will I remember it? :D
Tom

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

FWIW ... this is a standard Powerchurch function good across all types, and not something unique to Powerchurch Online.

As such, it could have been posted in the Contributions topic for all users to view.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

joshvv

Post by joshvv »

Thank you all for your information. I found the "reverse" function. It appears (from my experience) that "Reverse" will create a negative (-) transaction that needs to be reposted. After that the correct information needs to be entered and posted. I hope that I didn't mess up the accounting module by doing this.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

fhorst wrote:Thank you all for your information. I found the "reverse" function. It appears (from my experience) that "Reverse" will create a negative (-) transaction that needs to be reposted. After that the correct information needs to be entered and posted. I hope that I didn't mess up the accounting module by doing this.
The transactions created when posting Contributions and updating Funds Accounting will correct the original transaction crediting/debiting the wrong Funds Accounting income accounts.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

ncmtc

Post by ncmtc »

Hello,

I tried the reverse, and I got into a mess.

By mistake I entered wrong date, so I selected from the posted contribution and tried the reverse

wanted to change from 1/15 to 1/21, Now I have a 21 entry with a minus sign and 15 entry with no sign which I assume it to be a plus. I was under the impression 15 will have a minus sign

Please advise.

Bobby

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

ncmtc wrote:Hello,

I tried the reverse, and I got into a mess.

By mistake I entered wrong date, so I selected from the posted contribution and tried the reverse

wanted to change from 1/15 to 1/21, Now I have a 21 entry with a minus sign and 15 entry with no sign which I assume it to be a plus. I was under the impression 15 will have a minus sign

Please advise.

Bobby
Powerchurch does not show positive numbers with a plus sign. You're fine.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zaina
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zaina »

When you reverse an entry, whether it be in Contributions or in Fund Accounting, you should post that reverse without changing it. If you go into the unposted and attempt to modify it, it is no longer a true reverse for the incorrect entry. Reverse, post that reverse unchanged, and re-enter the corrected transaction.

If I am understanding your issue correctly, you will need to reverse the 15th again, post it. Add a positive 21st to zero out the negative and then add another contribution for the 21st so that it actually shows a contribution for the 21st.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

URP .. I definitely read that last post wrong ... sorry about that. :oops:
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

songbird331

Post by songbird331 »

I just posted my contributions for this past Sunday. There was an error in one of the checks I entered. I noticed this after I posted the contributions. I have done a 'reverse' on the entire contribution. Now, what do I do? Thank you--

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

songbird331 wrote:I just posted my contributions for this past Sunday. There was an error in one of the checks I entered. I noticed this after I posted the contributions. I have done a 'reverse' on the entire contribution. Now, what do I do? Thank you--
Reenter the contribution using the normal Enter Contributions function using the corrected data. Then post the transactions so that both the reversed entry and the correction are made into transactions for Funds Accounting to correct the data there.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.