Reports on detailed Accounting Transactions

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

PCIS

Reports on detailed Accounting Transactions

Post by PCIS »

Is it possible to write custom reports on the posted accounting fund transaction detail? All I see is aggregate balance data. I am trying to build a report which looks similar to the account activity report just sorted differently and only showing data for particular accounts (which are not in nice account number ranges but rather spread across my chart of accounts).

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Re: Reports on detailed Accounting Transactions

Post by Jeff »

The decision was made to not include detail data in the custom reports for fund accounting. The only data available for custom reports is the totals as you pointed out. You can export the whole database to access and create your report in access.

PCIS

Post by PCIS »

Wow! I wish I had understood that before I converted our accounting from Quickbooks to Powerchurch. We have only been on Powerchurch for 4 months and I have been telling folks to live with the standard reports until I could learn the custom report writer. How could I log a request that future versions of PowerChurch allow custom report access to the detailed transaction data in Fund Accounting?
I wonder if there are any other workarounds rather than downloading all the data to another database - frankly one of the main "selling points" to my Session members was that we would no longer have to maintain separate databases (we used to use Access for logging contributions, Quickbooks for check writing and keeping the accounting transactions, and various excel and word documents for membership data).
The current "user requirement" is that we have individual members of session that have "ownership" of monitoring certain accounts - equity and expense accounts - since a session member may have responsibility for accounts from different account ranges in the Chart of Accounts, I cannot just run the account activity report for a simple numeric range - instead i will have to run them individually and "concatenate" them together. Really? There has to be some better way - Anybody have other suggestions?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

PCIS wrote:Wow! I wish I had understood that before I converted our accounting from Quickbooks to Powerchurch. We have only been on Powerchurch for 4 months and I have been telling folks to live with the standard reports until I could learn the custom report writer. How could I log a request that future versions of PowerChurch allow custom report access to the detailed transaction data in Fund Accounting?
I wonder if there are any other workarounds rather than downloading all the data to another database - frankly one of the main "selling points" to my Session members was that we would no longer have to maintain separate databases (we used to use Access for logging contributions, Quickbooks for check writing and keeping the accounting transactions, and various excel and word documents for membership data).
The current "user requirement" is that we have individual members of session that have "ownership" of monitoring certain accounts - equity and expense accounts - since a session member may have responsibility for accounts from different account ranges in the Chart of Accounts, I cannot just run the account activity report for a simple numeric range - instead i will have to run them individually and "concatenate" them together. Really? There has to be some better way - Anybody have other suggestions?
FWIW .. that's what we do ... that said, I have them saved under the standard reports so that the admin person just needs to pull up the saved standard report with all the accounts selected, adjust the dates, run and print. Yes, you'd have to create the reports, but once you have the heading setup (Ministry 1 - equity) (Ministry 1 - Expense) .. all it would take is a few minutes to put them together and staple.

That said, the export to Access would only be for running reports. It would be a throw away database, with all the data coming out of Powerchurch. Having ALL the church data in Powerchurch (Membership, Contributions, Accounting) makes for a much easier system admin task, as well as eliminating a nightmare of different interfaces, data being out of sync, etc.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Jeff »

Can you assign those accounts the same sub-account number? You can filter the account activity account by sub-account. The idea for sub-accounts is a way to group accounts that are not in the same numeric range. The sub-account report can also show budget information.