Expression Builder

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

denniston

Expression Builder

Post by denniston »

Could some one point me to some information on how to craft expressions. I am building a custom report, and there are two things that I want to do.

1) the easy one. I want to not print the label "allergy" if the field allergy is blank. I know how to get it to not print the field, but I need it to not print the label.

2) the more involved one. I would like to sort the report by role (it is a custom activity report). Each Role have a separate page with a different header.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jason Denniston
Connections pastor
New Hope Wesleyan Church
http://www.newhopalive.org

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Expression Builder

Post by Zorak »

1. On the Label Properties screen (double click the label) there is a Print When tab. In the "Print only when expression is true:" field, enter

Code: Select all

not empty(allergy)
2. You will need to set the sort order on the screen with the Edit Record Filter, Pick Output Type, Edit Output Fields, and Edit Sort Order buttons. Click Edit Sort Order, then choose Activity Role Desc from the list. NOw, back in the Report Designer (click Edit Layout to get there) right click on the gray Detail band and choose Data Grouping. Click the Add button and type

Code: Select all

role_desc
in the group by expression. In the Group Starts On area, choose New Page.

denniston

Post by denniston »

Zorac,

Thanks for the info. I have all of those things accomplished. One last thing. Is it possible to have the header change dynamically for each role? As in, I want it to print the Role Desciption for the current role in the header.
Jason Denniston
Connections pastor
New Hope Wesleyan Church
http://www.newhopalive.org

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

Yes, since creating the group, you will now have two extra gray bands showing on the report designer. Group header and Group footer. In the group header, insert a new field for "role_desc", or if you have that already being output on the report, just move the field into the group header.